Hans♫

Installation of fresh Delphi 11.2 fails: Exception in module rtl280.bpl

This is the first time I install a Delphi 11 version on my computer, having used Delphi 10.4 so far.

The installation runs until the page where I should choose what platforms to install (see image). First time I actually did see the list, but as soon as I checked additional options (maybe at the time where I checked iOS target, not sure), it crashed.

Having uninstalled and installed again several times, but always the same result: Both web installer and ISO installer. Both as Administrator or not. All Delphi 11 editions, 11.0, 11.1 and 11.2. 

I am on Windows 10, latest update, and have Delphi 10.4 on the computer with all taget platforms installed and in use (Win, OSX, iOS and Android). Something may be interfering?

Any ideas what to try?

Screenshot_2.jpg

Edited by Hans♫
Added Windows version

Well, which Windows version is this? Windows 7 is not supported anymore, AFAIK.

20 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Well, which Windows version is this? Windows 7 is not supported anymore, AFAIK.

Windows 10, latest version. I have updated my post.

I would suggest to install basic Delphi for Windows, without any additional platform. Then when successful (Create an hello world type FMX application to check) add other platforms.

It is likely that Delphi 11.2 use newer platform SDK compared to 10.4. Not sure you don't have to remove the existing SDK before installing it again thru Delphi installer.

19 hours ago, FPiette said:

I would suggest to install basic Delphi for Windows, without any additional platform.

Unfortunately that is not even possible. If you look at the screen dump, the list of platforms is empty, so I cannot install just Windows. It did show the list of platforms first time I ran the installer, but it doesn't any more. Not sure what has changed.

3 hours ago, Hans♫ said:

Unfortunately that is not even possible. If you look at the screen dump, the list of platforms is empty, so I cannot install just Windows.

Of course you can! Windows is always available and can't be deselected. Installing only for Windows means not selecting other platform (iOS, Android, MAC, Linux).

10 minutes ago, FPiette said:

Windows is always available

Thank you for your reply, but where do you see Windows available on the screen shot?

There are no platforms on the list. The Exception comes apparently from the installers attempt to update the list of platforms. Pressing Continue just closes the installer (crash).

Edited by Hans♫

On 11/17/2022 at 1:38 PM, Hans♫ said:

where do you see Windows available on the screen shot?

Your screen shot is useless. The application error dialog hide most of the installer window.

I suspect your system is somewhat corrupted.

I suggest the following:

1) Scan your computer with a good antivirus

2) Apply all available Windows updates. Restart your computer.

3) Use Microsoft System File Checker to repair missing or corrupted system files.

4) Manually delete all files and folders, including hidden one, related to Delphi and Embarcadero except Delphi 10.4 (If you want to keep that version)

5) Also delete all registry keys related to Delphi and Embarcadero except Delphi 10.4 (If you want to keep that version)

6) Be sure to disable ransomware protection in Windows Security before installing Delphi. Don't forget to enable it after installation.

6) Try once more to install Delphi.

If this doesn't work, contact Embarcadero support.

The problem has been solved. I contacted Embarcadero support and they suggested to check the "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows 10.

I had it turned on, and after turning it off, I could install Delphi 11.2 without any problems.

• Like 1