Mr. E

How long does it take to update Delphi 11?

Greetings,

The resource and performance monitor do not show any activity (hdd, network).

It is a Windows 11 Pro VM on Proxmox, with adequate resources; I disabled the Firewall and it has no antivirus.

I have almost an hour and I don't see any progress in the update/installation (web install).

I'm going to wait another hour; but, I am tempted to stop the VM, restore it (I did a previous backup) and retry.

image.thumb.png.562bad52fcc1bb5981ef7aadd6bbfea2.png

Let's enumerate...

1. Embarcadero servers decongested = OK
  2. Mega-fast user internet (ultra-broadband) = OK
  3. User's computer latest generation and mega-fast = OK
  4. No software to disturb the download = OK
  5. user using a VM with many gigabytes of RAM and disk (+100GB) = oh oh oh will it? ... let's wait and see....

until the end, cross your fingers and hope that no problems with the connection to Embarcadero, or even, no internal errors during the installation!!!

NOTE: download ISO (+6gb) in order not to get bored!

Edited by programmerdelphi2k
  • Sad 1

@programmerdelphi2k

Ah!, then I am in the hands of the other factors that I cannot control, especially on the Embarcadero side.
We have a dedicated "fast" internet (not ultra-fast)

#4) Before I upgraded Delphi I had no updates and now that I checked I had already downloaded an update package. Paused!

image.thumb.png.d37f3096347a3a93b3639fb87723e5e3.png

17 minutes ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

always prefere download ISO for avoid any problems while installing ... here RAD Studio 11.2 complete = +18GBytes in disk after installation!

Yes, I also prefer the ISO, but when we bought the license my salesman did not provide me the ISO in time and I had to use the web install; the urgency forced me to use it and now I regret it.

I have done some research and I see that the registry data of the web install and ISO install are not compatible. I guess if I uninstall and reinstall with the ISO I will be shooting myself in the foot.

9 hours ago, Mr. E said:

Greetings,

The resource and performance monitor do not show any activity (hdd, network).

It is a Windows 11 Pro VM on Proxmox, with adequate resources; I disabled the Firewall and it has no antivirus.

I have almost an hour and I don't see any progress in the update/installation (web install).

I'm going to wait another hour; but, I am tempted to stop the VM, restore it (I did a previous backup) and retry.

image.thumb.png.562bad52fcc1bb5981ef7aadd6bbfea2.png

The update has problems with uninstalling some GetIt packages, e. g. Parnassus Bookmarks and Navigator. It is recommended to manually uninstall these first before you run the update. I dimly remember a blog post about this issue but cannot find it at the moment.

Anyway: the GetIt uninstall opens a command window that then fails to close. Just close it yourself, you may actually be able to type "exit" at its prompt for that, otherwise shoot it down via task manager. The process will then continue normally.

• Like 2

@PeterBelow @programmerdelphi2k

Sorry for the delay and thank you very much,

I hope to update this weekend by uninstalling those two Parnasus packages.

On 12/10/2022 at 8:08 PM, programmerdelphi2k said:

you can register your key in my.embarcadero.com and download your iso, not?

Yes, I did this but after using the webinstaller.

I'm not sure, but reinstalling with the ISO is not recommended since I installed with the web installer, right?

If I manage to upgrade; later I will try to create a new VM and install from scratch using the ISO (but that's a lot of work accumulated at the moment); I just have the doubt if it won't cause me a problem with the CData connectors license that was "registered?" with the current VM.

Regards!

about doubts of license usage it's better contact Embarcadero.

I think that your installations will be checked by internet when your IDE is loaded. Each license has a "number" of stations for use. 

On 12/11/2022 at 11:47 AM, PeterBelow said:

GetIt packages, e. g. Parnassus Bookmarks and Navigator

Add FMXLinux to the GetIt packages that needs to be uninstalled before an upgrade.