Ian Branch

Edits not saved??

Hi Team,

D11.3.

This may be a setting I am not aware of and/or have forgotten about, I do not recall experiencing this in D11.2.

Occasionally, after I have edit a Unit and saved it, exited, and come back to it later, I find my edits have not taken.  It's as if the edits didn't happen.

Yes, I am confident I have saved my work.

Have I missed some setting??

Anybody else experience this??

Regards & TIA,

Ian

You give very little information and it's not possible to reproduce anything... and, RAD doesn't have an automatic "undo", so your problem shouldn't be that.

I'm not sure what other information would be relevant.

I have no idea why I am occasionally seeing this.

Not quite as rapidly as that.  I usually work one project, then another, then another, then for some reason come back to the original an sometimes see the issue.  I may or may not exit Delhi between projects.

It is an annoyance.  I am quite sure I have edited the same file two or three times making the same changes. 😞

By default the IDE keeps a history of saves. What is showing up there? (bottom right of edit: History. should list revision contexts including file, buffer and any history files).

I know sometimes the same file accessed with different paths in different editors can end up with issues. 

Mind reader.  I am doing it right now.  I opened a project that has a datamodue that is shared with other Projects.

I opened the datamodule and a couple of the edits have reverted.  I know I have made the edits here and saved at least twice previously. 

Aside from the couple of reverted edits above the rest are fine.

Edited by Ian Branch

My purpose in raising this was to see if it was just my environment or if anybody else has experienced it.

If nobody else has then it i something I have to deal with.

hi @Ian Branch

look at "Tools > Options > Environment Options >"

When AutoRecover is enabled, RAD Studio saves the recovery files in the hidden folder called _recovery, in the folder of your project. When the IDE closes unexpectedly, RAD Studio uses these saved files to recover the information when the IDE opens again.

I've noticed in the past that the IDE doesn't mark a file as changed when you only change the DFM and not the pas.

I've seen this happen  if you have two copies of a c++ *.h header file open in the IDE (in two separate windows). You edit one copy and then later save the other uneditied copy and overwrite the changes. Not sure if it's possible to have two copies of the same pascal + *.dfm unit open or not. Just something to check though....

I've also had a multiple projects issue where different projects refer to the same file. If you at some point move the directory in which the file is in and then only update some of the projects you accidentally introduce two copies of what should be only one file. This has happened to me a couple of times and caused great confusion ! Just another thing to check - make sure full path of the file is the same in all the projects.....

• many IDE open, you can have many files (copy) opened!
  • Code Editor allow +1 window of same unit file opened
  • share file can cause confusion of course! the human-memory can fail :)))

14 minutes ago, programmerdelphi2k said:
  • many IDE open, you can have many files (copy) opened!
  • Code Editor allow +1 window of same unit file opened
  • share file can cause confusion of course! the human-memory can fail :)))

When saving said open file in one IDE, the other open IDE when focused will show fileXXX timedate changed update?  A Change in the DFM is called a in memory change as well!   Doing that will synchronize or import the changes to that IDE. // A change in a custom component needs a little more to see changes in the dfm.  

Control-b will show the pathed files 

4 hours ago, FreeDelphiPascal said:

I did some investigation and the background compilation was the culprit.

I think I eventually discovered the same thing.  Too long ago now... 😉