David Szkilnyk

Rio 10.3.1 Debugger is often dead after a second build.

Not Happy, and very time consuming to get anything done. 
Steps 
  Open fresh IDE.
  Build to debug the application. 
  Perform debugging to view some execution of code.
  Either Terminate session or even run till application is shutdown. 
  Make changes. 
  Debug Build again 
  Run and all breakpoints have failed and Debugger is no longer working.   

Ok this a very large win32 Vcl desktop application. Debug exe is compiling in at 300meg.

Did not have this issue in Tokyo. 
Nothing special in it other than your standard component libraries and Devexpress libs. 

I have seen this before in earlier version of Delphi but this version seems to be really bad. 

Anyone experience this? 
Or seen a solution?

Regards
Dave

Have not seen this myself, but my application are not nearly this large (largest was a bit over 10 MBytes). Check the project debug configuration, linker settings. If you now include debug information with the EXE, remove that checkmark. The IDE debugger uses the debug info from the DCUs, not the one in the EXE, so it just makes the file much larger, without any benefit. A smaller EXE may reduce the chance of running into this problem. Just a guess...

Will deleting all Delphi generated dcus (not those shipped with Delphi) files from your entire system work?

Also try enable Remote Debugging in the project options. I used to had the same issue with an earlier version of Delphi and this strange tricked worked somehow.

I haven't seen this exact problem - but the debugger periodically stops working after a number of build/debug/edit/build cycles.

Another issue that annoys me more, is that after debugging you have to compile again to have code completion work again.  You don't even need a full compile, just Ctrl-F9 and Esc to interrupt it, and code completion is back in function.

Ok its been awhile as I had to ditch it and go back to the previous version to get some work done.

Anyhow tried all the above options no luck.

What I did find that worked to a point was I am currently building with msbuild externally to compile (true).

Well if I set it to false I can get a compile or two before I run into memory issues.

But it does reset the debugger and enable me to use it. 

But alas if msbuild option back to true debugger fails again. 

Time for a support ticket me thinks. 

UnChecking Use MSBUild helped for me also. this occurs only in two exe on my 7 exe which are same project family. 
Don't know if it's exe size of what, or some library which causes problems.