Sign in to follow this  
dummzeuch

Syncing a remote SVN repository to the local file system under Windows

I had some bad experience with the hosted SVN repositories of my open source projects (first with SourceForge, now with OSDN) so I decided to sync all of them to a local, read only copy on my hard drive. In the worst case that will keep the history even if the hosting service goes down permanently and loses the data. The command for that, according to the book is svnsync. The local repository must be prepared first, though and that turned out a bit more complicated than I expected, so I’m posting this here for future reference.

Read on in the blog post.

4 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

I'd use Git SVN export for that.

Why would I need that? I have an svn repository and I'm making a copy of that. No git involved, and none needed.

I think moving from SVN to Git had quite a steep learning curve, but only because I was accustomed to using SVN and mostly for single-developer projects. Once I finally "got" Git I never want to go back, even for projects nobody but me works with, but ESPECIALLY on a project that has more than one concurrent developer. SVN is slow and restrictive in comparison. 

Edited by Brandon Staggs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

Why would I need that?

Because your SVN-only solution required additional moves while mine requires only a single command.