dummzeuch

Favorite feature(s) of other editors that Delphi does not offer

15 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

I opened Visual Studio the other day and made some edits to a C# module that implements an API interface for our software. We have interfaces in a variety of languages, C++, Python, C#, etc. 

I was blown away when VS offered me suggestions for the code I was writing. Clearly it's using some AI library to do this. Honestly, the quality of the suggested code blew my mind. I knew what I wanted to write, and so did VS. 

This is only going to get better and better, but it's already amazing. So far as I know, there's nothing remotely like this for us Delphi users. Or would we get this is we wrote our code in an editor like VS Code?? 

Delphi will continue to stagnate.  I think that AI and IDE support for C# and other mainstream languages will soon make Delphi programmers fall far behind the productivity and quality of their peers.   

While AI is not built-in to Delphi, I recently used ChatGPT to help me write a Delphi function, saving me several hours. I'm sure there's a future IDE plug-in that will incorporate this somehow.

However, I agree that Delphi has fallen behind other tools--and will likely never catch up as the industry is moving faster than the small, incremental enhancements that come with each release.