Shrinavat

Issue with Color Names Overlay in Object Inspector

I'm encountering a problem with the color names in freshly installed Delphi 12, and this issue also existed in Delphi 11.x. The problem is observed as a text "overlay" in any Object Inspector field related to color, as illustrated in the attached animation. It seems to occur regardless of whether any experts or updates are installed. How can I address this issue?

animation.gif

2 hours ago, Shrinavat said:

How can I address this issue?

By filing a bug report with Embarcadero

I sometimes also get a bug that the selected property shows a value of a different property. I cannot enter a bug report as it's impossible to find out when that can happen. Also search in D12 is working even worse than in Delphi 11.2, here also I have had no time to create an example.

I hope we can get a fix for some issues soon as we're moving to beta phase of our application.

1 hour ago, Lajos Juhász said:

I hope we can get a fix for some issues soon as we're moving to beta phase of our application.

If nobody files a bug report, there will be no fix.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

If you enter a bug report without a test case they will close it as works as expected, I've been there a couple of times. Even if you submit a reproducible case the bug can stay opened for a decade.

Sorry, that is only an excuse to not report bugs. It will only lead to the ability to lament on bugs not being fixed, while the reason they are not fixed is not being reported in the first place.

While there indeed exist bugs that are not fixed in decades if ever, there are a lot more being fixed only because they were reported. F.i. my statistics list 145 reported bugs, from whom 30 are still open, while only 8 were closed as Works as expected.

Reporting bugs is necessary for having them fixed - it may not be sufficient, but it just is necessary!

So let me quote Thomas here:

49 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

It is not unheard of for others to confirm they also encounter, make comments on, and find a way to reproduce a bug. An example would be: https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-34111 which followed this pattern and a bug that was around for several Delphi releases was fixed. For those without QC access: it was about a dangling scroll bar sometimes seen in the IDE, fixed in Delphi 11. 

As for this one - looks like something is overdrawing just the color name on top of the color box + name that should be there.  

image.thumb.png.a8bfdfd93de36cfd3d9cf3e46d17edaf.png

Edited by Brian Evans

I've found the source of the problem. It turned out to be third-party components - ESBPCS for VCL. If they are disabled, then the problem disappears. As @balabuev rightly pointed out, here's what's to blame: "Non-standard property editors are installed. More technically, this happens when a property editor implements the ICustomPropertyDrawing interface but does not implement the more recently introduced ICustomPropertyDrawing80 interface."
The developer of these components has already been notified.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1