alogrep

Embarcadero can you please STOP making your install sooooo MARVELOUS?

Good  Morning
I paid subscription renewal, ia download and installed delphi 12.0
I test a VCL program with one button, onclick = showmessage('Hello');
It blows my mind when I see "[dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'Controls.res'
Embarcadero, can you please do your (paid work)???
 Why do I have to spend days fixing your bugs? 
Sorry, I am angry YES, but on every upgrade I find problems! 
Can you test your installation app maybe 20 or 30 times before selling it to me and others"?
Anyway if there is a good soul that care to give me a clue as to what do, I would I appreciate it./

the path to controls.res is in the library (options/language/delphi/library), it's the first entry $BDSLIB/$platform/blabla, use procmon to see what happens

58 minutes ago, alogrep said:
Embarcadero, can you please do your (paid work)???
 Why do I have to spend days fixing your bugs? 

You know that Embarcadero is barely monitoring this forum, don't you?

If you want your rant being heard better contact a PM or sales representative.

1 hour ago, alogrep said:

Can you test your installation app maybe 20 or 30 times before selling it to me and others"?

What do you think is done during beta tests? The actual number of installation tests most likely exceeds your request of 20 or 30 by magnitude. Unfortunately there are still some scenarios not covered by the testers. The best way to get these covered is to analyze the cause for the error and file a QP report with that information.

Thinking about past events with a similar error: Did you by any chance make use of the "Remove unused paths" action in the library editor?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

"Remove unused paths" action in the library editor? 

Oh yeah, this should be addressed too.

Sorry, Uwe.
I guess I should not run installations at four O'Clock in the morning.
No, I did not delete nor "touch" anything.
As soon as the installation terminated I did the test program.
I checked the Library and it showed the attached (lib.jpg). Luckily I still have my Delphi 11 installed and so I copied the library path from there and so far it seems it works.
BUt even this new version does not create the '~pas backup file. What I mean, since the beginning (D5) until a month ago every time I modified sayUnit2.pas, when I saved it, Delphi created Unit2.~pas . This feature stopped. Do you have any idea as to how can I reactivate it?

lib.jpg

1 hour ago, alogrep said:
BUt even this new version does not create the '~pas backup file. What I mean, since the beginning (D5) until a month ago every time I modified sayUnit2.pas, when I saved it, Delphi created Unit2.~pas . This feature stopped. Do you have any idea as to how can I reactivate it?

Do you have a folder named "__history" in the folder with your project?

Thanks Vandrovnik. No.
 But I repeat, the .~pas (and .~dfm) file was always created until now. Drom D5 through XE, 10,11. 
It was created automatically in the same folder where the .pas file is. (not in the __history)  
Suddenly this behaviour disappeared.

I did a quick check and at least in D12 and D11 the backup files are located in the __history subfolder. I'm pretty sure that this works this way since quite a couple of versions.

Also, these files are not extended with ~pas or ~dfm, but version numbers ~<number>~, which correspond to the versions shown in the History tab.

24 minutes ago, alogrep said:

Kas, thanks. No.

What happen when you run the IDE as Administrator ?

16 hours ago, alogrep said:
Thanks Vandrovnik. No.
 But I repeat, the .~pas (and .~dfm) file was always created until now. Drom D5 through XE, 10,11. 
It was created automatically in the same folder where the .pas file is. (not in the __history)  
Suddenly this behaviour disappeared.

It seems the directory "__history" is hidden - in Windows Explorer, you will need to enable hidden files, or use another File Manager. May be it is still there...