Sign in to follow this  
Roger Cigol

RAD Studio 12.0 - Debugging Clang C++ 64bit VCL - Locks up

I am finding problems with RAD RAD Studio 12.0 - running C++ using Clang 64bit for a windows VCL project.

If I insert a breakpoint it stops ok when the execution reaches the breakpoint.

If I then try to single step sometimes it works. Most often I get a dialog appear (as per attached screen shot) but both "Wait" and "Terminate" buttons are frozen. Task manager shows RAD Studio is usage is "high" but everything is frozen. Only recovery is to shut down the entire RAD Studio using Task Manager.

I get the same problems if I try to run it on a remote windows PC, deploying using PA Server.

Anyone else seen this ?

DebugLockUpDialog.JPG

Can you replicate in a simple test application ?

Sometimes this helps to figure out if its also related to your specific code or EMB.

Always a pain to figure out but EMB will do nothing unless there is a specific QC case.

We've not quite managed to start using 12 yet so can't comment on the debugging side but from past experience I'm not surprised if there is an issue.

I think I have found the area of my problem. If I put my breakpoint(s) in areas of code where "normal" code functions are happening then all is well. The opposite of "normal" is if I put a breakpoint in code that is interfacing with my postgreSQL (version 13 - 64 bit) database inside a database transaction then the debugger seems to hang / or do all sorts of bad things. I have my postgreSQL configured with various time outs. It makes debugging complicated database interaction (with several TFDQuery updates being used in one transaction) a bit tricky - but the IDE seems reliable if I avoid this - which is something that is workable.

Common to relax or remove timeouts when debugging, especially any that are short. It does make an application behave differently when debugging but at least you can use break points and step through code. This includes server-side timeouts - the server needs to be more patient to give you a chance to step through code. 

if IsDebuggerPresent then ......... 

Odd it behaves so badly, usually you just see problems later on.