techdesk

Seeking Collaboration: Creating a Delphi Component for STM32 Boards

"Communicate with STM32 device is one thing, program a STM32 device is TOTALLY another thing."
This is not correct.
To communicate with a STM32 is not much of a problem if simple data needs to be sent from the STM32 chip.
However when it comes to giving instructions to the STM32 chip via your own program, you NEED to access the hardware side of the STM32 chip. 
Simply put, you cannot simply command for example a LED on the STM32 to go high via your program, or stop a stepper motor attached to it. You need to be able to send such commands which the STM32 understands. 

So, what you want, @techdesk is for someone to help with implementing the serial or tcp/ip protocol handler in Delphi, that can transfer data between an embedded program running on the STM32 and a Delphi program running on a PC, Tablet, or Phone?

5 hours ago, Sherlock said:

OK, before this discussion gets out of hand.

Yes, by all means, fix the barn door after the horses come home, LOL!

• Haha 1

@Lars Fosdal
Almost correct. But it should be a VCL component for Delphi. Plus the component properties must be able to map the pinset (GPIO as it is known) of the STM32 into the component. Otherwise there will be no way that you could read/send data to unknown pins. 

Personally, I wouldn't use a visual component as the core.  It binds you to just one of the many platforms such a comms lib could be used on.

Once you have a platform agnostic comms lib, you could base a VCL component on top of it.

Now you just need to document the rest of your functional requirements and add pointers to some actual documentation and examples.

If it looks interesting enough, maybe someone will take on the task.

Good luck.

There are already know components on the fly without to work for new ones.

For communications, one of the standard that works on serial COM, TCP and UDP is ModBus.

With that you can communicate whatever you want, ghost I/O, virtual I/O, GPIO and others. Surely there is a ModBus implementation for STM32 (this one for example: https://github.com/nimaltd/master-modbus ).

But, if you choose a STM32 with BLE, also BLE stack should be and you can create GATT service (so no physical connection for communication).

You miss to read my full post: the communication is simple, the construction of full environment is more complex.

EDIT: of course, for Delphi side there are also ModBus implementations (I think I posted here about this).

Edited by DelphiUdIT

Here I made up a Delphi mockup which could be self explanatory. Please see attached PDF
As can be seen that the STM32 Chip could be configured as required.
Other components such as Gyros, GPS Modules Compasses etc could be added to the Project1.
On the "EVENTS"  of these sensors, necessary information could be attained or sent through the Chip Outputs etc.etc etc.
So in a nutshell I simply need collaboration to design such components for Delphi so that a custom program could be designed. I reiterate, these components would be free and certainly be a hugh boon for Delphi programmers. Seeing almost 1000 views in such a short post period leads me to believe that these components would create a huge interest among the Delphi community.  

STMF4Demo.pdf

5 hours ago, techdesk said:

No take on this yet?

You try to reach programmer. If you want our attention, give us source code. Show us your approach. A PDF is not interesting.

• Like 1

Your interface definition for example. Not deeper coding knowledge needed for that.

@techdesk https://www.archbee.com/blog/technical-specification

Without a definition / specification, every software project becomes an endless series of misunderstandings.

A mocked up screenshot alone, hardly represents a specification.

If you can't be arsed to really describe in detail what you want, you'll probably never get anyone interested.

Courtesy of Copilot

SoftwareMissionImpossible.jpg

Thank you all for your comments.
I have failed in describing the project.
So let us leave it at that and move on.
Bye everyone. Keep well