gwideman

How to check for Delphi update?

Posted (edited)

In most products there's a Check for Updates function on the Help menu, but not in the Delphi 12 IDE.

docwiki search finds this page "Check for Updates https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/Check_for_Updates, last updated in 2015.  But I can find no such Check for Updates Start menu item, link or function inside the IDE, in D12, (nor in D10.4 that this page supposedly pertains to).

One could check the Release Notes at http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Athens/en/Release_Notes

... except that page has loads of info about installation, but no actual release notes. Sigh.

So how the heck do you check if your IDE is up to date?

Edited by gwideman
Updated info on Release Notes

Posted (edited)

In modern versions, IDE updates are released on GetIt. Simply check there if any updates are available for download.

Edited by Remy Lebeau

20 minutes ago, Remy Lebeau said:

In modern versions, IDE updates are released on GetIt. Simply check there if any updates are available for download.

Thanks for your reply.   Your suggestion sound plausible, but how, exactly?

Tools > Getit Package Manager gets me the Getit Package Manager window. Then what?

1 hour ago, gwideman said:

Tools > Getit Package Manager gets me the Getit Package Manager window. Then what?

This is GetIt Package Manager configured to show what patches/hotfixes are available, and an arrow pointing to what to select to show whether updates are available:

image.thumb.png.200b8d12f4f2321117e581c0c0ec781b.png

• Like 1

Hmm, OK I guess. 

For some reason, when I previously tried the Updates filter with Category All, it returned nothing.  I see your screen cap shows Patches and Hotfixes, and that does return a result, so thanks for that.

Problem is, GetIt muddles together 100's of offerings from multiple vendors, and the filters are ambiguous, so it's either hard to see the forest for the trees, or if you get rid of the trees (or is it the forest?) there's nothing left and hard to tell the meaning of "No result". 

I had also tried using the Search box set to "Embarcadero", but that only finds items that mention that name in the description, and doesn't find any items whose vendor is Embarcadero.   I tentatively concluded that perhaps updates to RAD Studio were listed under some other vendor name.

It wasn't clear what other term I could search for to bring up possible updates. Actually using "update" fetched two items that were irrelevant.

I was hoping to find a feature that provides a positive statement "your installation of the IDE is at the latest version".  The current "no search results" fails to distinguish between "your installation is up-to-date" and "you didn't guess the right filter and search terms".

Anyhow, thanks for your help.

If there is a new version or patch for the IDE, it also will show up on the Welcome page.

• Like 1

If there is a new patch / version available it will always show up in this forum.

This is how I get informed 🙂

• Like 1