Hans♫

Delphi 12 installation has failed in all possible ways...

Short version:

I am now trying to manually uninstall Delphi 12, but I keep getting this message when I want to install Delphi 12 again:

image.png.2fada1271f730130fd85bfb273e54a41.png

The installer will no let me proceed as the uninstaller fails (it does not exist). I have followed the guide written here:

But something must be missing.

Any suggestions what I can do to make the installer run again?

Long version:

1) Installed Delphi 12 using the web installer (RADStudio_12_0_inline_esd_116924.exe). Installed platforms Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android.

2) Used the migration tool when suggested during installation, and chose the upgrade feature to migrate from existing Delphi 11.3

3) Running Delphi 12 for the first time, but with a lot of error messages. It tried to load all the Delphi 11.3 packages, which of course fails.

4) Removed all invalid packages manually so it now runs without errors. 

5) Discovers that iOS and Android platforms are not shown, despite being installed. This is the general IDE options (without having loading a project):

Screenshot_3.png.5df17fa17b347849c397742b9b78fc8e.png

6) Used the "Manage features" to uninstall iOS and install it again, but same problem. The manage features window shows that all is installed:

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.97db7c4bc7aa29d3b9cfcd2665367bb1.png

7) Uninstalling Delphi 12 from Windows 10 > Settings > Apps, but the uninstaller failed in a way. It showed a message "Uninstalling GetIt ... (this may take a while)", then opened a command prompt, but nothing happened in the command prompt and after 30 minutes I closed the command prompt and uninstall continued, and, as far as I remember, completed without any errors.

😎 Installing Delphi 12 again, but shortly after having selected all platforms and clicked continue, it failed. Unfortunately I did not get a screen shot of the error.

9) Now I began to manually remove all Delphi 12 files, so I could make a clean installation again, but here I am stuck as described in the beginning of this post. Something remains that is linked to Delphi 12, but not clearly identified as belonging to Delphi 12. 

I already have Delphi 10.4 and Delphi 11.3 on the computer, so I don't want to remove ALL Embarcadero related data.

I suppose it all started because I used the Migration tool, which I have always done with success, but this time it messed everything up.

22 minutes ago, Hans♫ said:

Used the migration tool when suggested during installation, and chose the upgrade feature to migrate from existing Delphi 11.3

Update migration is wrong option. It is used only for same version updates. You need to choose Version migration. 11.x and 12.x are not compatible,

3 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Update migration is wrong option. It is used only for same version updates. You need to choose Version migration. 11.x and 12.x are not compatible,

I used the option "Migrate settings to a newer product version". Do you suggest to use the other option "Export settings to a migration file"?

2 hours ago, Hans♫ said:

I used the option "Migrate settings to a newer product version". Do you suggest to use the other option "Export settings to a migration file"?

I never used that setting so there might be issue with that one. But, when you run the wizard at one point you will also have Three buttons under the settings tree: Update Migration, Version Migration, and Computer Migration. You should choose Version Migration when migrating form one version to another. It is probably better to export settings to file and then import after the installation. But even if you do that you need to make sure that you choose Version Migration. 

The fact that IDE was trying to load packages from older version is a signal that you have imported wrong settings.

54 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

... when you run the wizard at one point you will also have Three buttons under the settings tree: Update Migration, Version Migration, and Computer Migration. You should choose Version Migration when migrating form one version to another.

You are right, I didn't make any changes to the settings tree, as I expected it to be correct by default when having chosen "... to newer product version" on the first page.

Lesson learned!

Unfortunately I am still in a dead-lock that I cannot install Delphi 12 because it thinks its already installed. Have contacted support and waits for an answer, but I expect that it is just a single obfuscated registry value that needs to be removed to continue. Just don't know which.

Rolling back the VM is not an option?

I solved it. There was still a node for "RAD Studio 12" in the Windows 10 uninstall registry. So I simply deleted that node from here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

PS. Using VM for multiplatform development is a PITA.

• Like 2

Congrats. I got used to VM, running a Windows VM on a Mac made it easy to develop for three platforms (Win, macOS, iOS)... never tried Android, but should work out.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Windows VM on a Mac made it easy to develop for three platforms (Win, macOS, iOS)... 

Good to hear. It's of course a tradeoff. Using a VM requires extra time and so do running multiple Delphi version directly in your main Windows installation. My conclusion so far is that the latter works better for me, despite often having problems when a new Delphi version is released.