Does anyone have the same problem as me when selecting several components (visible as well as non-visible) on a form in the IDE. Either by Ctrl-clicking or just with the mouse and then pressing Ctrl-C, the CPU output of the BDE.exe task goes up and the IDE is blocked/freezing. You can then only end the task and have to restart the IDE.

The problem has existed for some time, but since D11, D12 and D12.1 it happens more and more frequently.

Posted (edited)

No problem here. Suggest trying something like Process Monitor - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn to see if it shows the IDE is doing / trying to do something external (like access a file over a network etc) when it freezes. 

CTRL-C just puts a text representation of the component definition(s) on the system clipboard - might be slow if the components in question contain a lot of data but it's pretty much the same text as gets saved in the dfm file so shouldn't lock anything up. 

Edited by Brian Evans

1 hour ago, Brian Evans said:

Suggest trying something like Process Monitor - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn to see if it shows the IDE is doing / trying to do something external (like access a file over a network etc) when it freezes. 

Good sugestion, will try it.

1 hour ago, Brian Evans said:

CTRL-C just puts a text representation of the component definition(s) on the system clipboard - might be slow if the components in question contain a lot of data but it's pretty much the same text as gets saved in the dfm file so shouldn't lock anything up. 

You can wait for hours.. the IDE still hangs

I copy components from the designer to clipboard quite frequently and I do not recall that issue ever occurring. The most recent versions that I have used are 11.2, 11.3, and 12.0 (without Patch 1).

I would also check Task Manager to see what else is running in the background. There could be another application that is monitoring the clipboard and interfering with BDS.exe when you try to copy components.

there may be a package blocking, remove the third-party packages and run the test again to find the culprit.

image.thumb.png.20222ffcd8c9620cb26595e44207b2a0.png

this is what process explorer shows when the IDE hangs

When I started using Delphi 11.x, I was frustrated by frequent IDE lockups and exceptions. After talking to Embarcadero, I selectively uninstalled each component library and expert to try and identify if third-party code was causing those issues.

The issues that I was experiencing disappeared once I uninstalled the Parnassus debugger and bookmarks experts. Since then, Delphi 11.3 has been extremely stable for me.

Jon

6 minutes ago, JonRobertson said:

The issues that I was experiencing disappeared once I uninstalled the Parnassus debugger and bookmarks experts. Since then, Delphi 11.3 has been extremely stable for me.

Have installed Parnassus Navigator, will try to deinstall them.

When I looked at the Parnassus stuff, I read the license, and it mentions calling home / collecting data. So, I uninstalled the one I was looking at and avoided the rest. In GetIt the Parnassus OÜ license has been replaced with the generic Embarcadero License so I am not sure if it still does this collection. 

Data

You agree that Parnassus OÜ may gather technical data and related information, including but not limited to information about your computer system, applications, peripherals and other related data. Parnassus may use this information, so long as it is in a form that does not personally identify you, to improve or modify the functionality of Parnassus software and services. Parnassus may use this information, including in a form that may personally identify you, for customer support and in efforts to combat piracy.

Ref: License Agreement - Parnassus OÜ