Darian Miller

New desktop FMX app - third party controls?

For those current FMX developers - if you were to start a new FMX application, initially targeted at Desktop users (and potentially targeting mobile users at some point in the future) do you have a list of third party control packs that you would normally rely on for a clean Windows 11 type interface?  

Standard data entry / reporting type application with contact management, document search/storage..

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2024 at 1:55 AM, Darian Miller said:

do you have a list of third party control packs that you would normally rely on for a clean Windows 11 type interface? 

My recommendation would be, to avoid 3rd Libraries as much as possible.
Since FMX on Mobile is very volatile and Android/iOS change significantly every 6 months, it is very important not to rely on additional, possibly unstable, external components.
My recommendation would be, to make as much as possible on your own.
I can recommend DelphiWorlds-Kastri as a common life-saver, TMS FNC and other TMS components - since they are quite active,
but I would still reduce any external reference as much as possible.

Moreover, I would not directly try to port a desktop app to mobile.
Better to start clean with a mobile-first app and then put your "desktop" functionality back step-by-step.

Edited by Rollo62
  • Like 2

We are in a similar situation and support a desktop, mobile, web and MacOs application from a single code base. We use a grid control written by our company which is also publicly available at Git-hub (GitHub - a-dato/FMX-GRID). This is more than just a grid control, as it supports light weight data binding and custom collections, sorting and more. You are welcome to check it out.

1 hour ago, Keesver said:

check it out

What kind of license is it published under?

## Free version

A free version is available which is actually quite capable. The free version is named FMX-GRID. This version can be used by any number of developers and offers royalty free distribution of applications.

The free version is published under the MIT license

## Commercial version
FMX-GRID-MODEL is a commercial product. It adds model support and property binding for easy creation of user interfaces. A license is required per developer. Licenses are valid for 12 months, a subscription is required to keep licenses valid. Subscriptons must be renewed after the end date. If you are renewing your license before (or up to 30 days after) the current expiration date, the new expiration date will be calculated based on the original order date. Updates are only available to users with a valid license.