PeterPanettone

ActionList Editor: New Standard Action...

Curious, this problem is not restricted on Delphi 12 Athens, You can also see it on (at least) Delphi 11.3 Alexandria. It not necessary to install all that 3rd party libraries. Just DevExpress or ImageEN should be enough to see a relevant delay when opening standard actions. This makes me wonder why none of that vendors have already reported this to Embarcadero.  

25 minutes ago, ULIK said:

This makes me wonder why none of that vendors have already reported this to Embarcadero.

Perhaps they aren't working with standard actions either?

38 minutes ago, ULIK said:

Curious, this problem is not restricted on Delphi 12 Athens....

I've seen the problem for a long time, I'd guess since around D7. But with DevExpress installed it takes less than 10 seconds to show (D11.2 with rather slow equipment), so it never really bothered me enough to report this.

Since action registration allows you to specify a class descending from TDataModule for default properties and images, it might make a big difference if and how a 3rd party uses that feature. Who knows, maybe the relevant data modules are created multiple times every time the dialog is shown.

Posted (edited)

BTW, can anyone confirm this:

The 'NewStandard Action...' command keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Ins does not work!

The command is executed only after clicking on its menu item with the mouse!

Edited by PeterPanettone

19 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

The issue could be fixed by:

1. Replacing the code that builds the List of Available Standard Actions with a more efficient code. Once the list has been built, it should be saved (in memory) and not rebuilt each time. The GetIt List was similarly slow before it was fixed. This confirms that the Delphi IDE code still contains some legacy in the form of antediluvian code.

2. Implement a Search/Filter box in the List of Available Standard Actions. The Search/Filter box should also work with multiple words.

3. Show a visual feedback indicator while building the List of Available Standard Actions, such as an hourglass cursor or something similar. This should be done in any professional application while executing a potentially lengthy process!

On 1) LOL. I was not aware of this fact, since I don't use third party controls that add actions. I see the advantage.

Maybe they have/had no other alternative left, because caching means listening and updating.

No doubt that such a delay sucks and EMB has to fix the issue urgently (without delay) and make the whole thing fast. Showing hour glasses is nice, but in that case I'd guess, if possible to implement a speed up is required. The situation is not just cumbersome for you and your daily work, nowadays such thing are just annoying.

Putting the blame on EMB solely doesn't make sense, since those who add such actions have to take care that the Delphi IDE stays responsive. If the dialog broke afterwards, we'll see. Agreed. It's been a hot discussion these days, a storm in the tea cup, because of the no coding touring of marketing and speed up in development.

Karma is returning.

In fact I just wanted to let you know to lower expectations and the outcome of the discussion these days. Question? Does the problem show up in actions manager too? Looks like the same dialog is used.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Lajos Juhász said:

I can confirm that it does work.

Have you tested the CTRL+Ins shortcut in Delphi 12.1 Patch 1?

image.png.0b9530f432d44ed7c599f2d35ae93655.png

Edited by PeterPanettone