Navid Madani

RAD Studio 12 Update 1 IDE Instability

Posted (edited)

Is anyone else experiencing frequent (~ hourly), random IDE freezes, and unresponsiveness on Windows ARM, even with small and new projects? Task Manager shows 0% CPU activity. The only recourse has been to force-quit the  IDE using the Windows Task Manager and restart. A lot of productivity has been lost as a result.  I have installed Navigator, Bookmarks, TwineCompile, Bonus KSVC, Radiant Shapes, and MMX Code Explorer.  Oddly, GetIt claims that the "12.1 Patch 1 1.0" previously applied is not installed, and clicking "Install" does nothing.  I have already tried removing the IDE plugins without resolution. And just to add a rant, this is now my second uninstall/reinstall cycle of 12, which is enough for me.

What is the best way to investigate (log files, etc.)?  

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Navid Madani

1 minute ago, Navid Madani said:

Oddly, GetIt claims that the "12.1 Patch 1 1.0" previously applied is not installed, and clicking "Install" does nothing.

I can confirm this part.  I am using an intel cpu.

24 minutes ago, Navid Madani said:

GetIt claims that the "12.1 Patch 1 1.0" previously applied is not installed

This can happen when the Patch has been installed with another user or different registry branch.

Thanks. My main concern is the IDE freezing.  The 'Problem Reports' Control Panel does not include the freezes, and I could not find any entries in Windows 'Event Viewer' either.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I could investigate further?

I had a path issue to my mycontrolLibrary. I fixed by making a hard path to it. 

Though this is on Windows and not ARM it still may useful.   Is check if the IDE can "see" the namespaces in uses clause by hovering over them.  If not try a syntax check or compile after manually loading unit not "seen" until the IDE shows the blue tag. After a few days the need to 'prime' the IDE went away and no more small empty blue tags.    

Screenshot 2024-05-27 122034.png

Not sure if this is related or not, but we had issues with running FinalBuilder 8 on windows 11 arm - it would crash on startup or just hang shortly after - I "fixed" it (so far so good) by changing the emulation settings to "strict execution" - try that on bds.exe

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Navid Madani said:

Navigator, Bookmarks

Just my experience, I had major issues with IDE instability when I started using Delphi 11. I had a call with one of the product managers and showed the issues that I was having. His suggestion was to remove packages and add-ins to find the cause, which I had been too lazy to do at that point. :classic_sad:

Once I removed Navigator and Bookmarks, all of the IDE instability disappeared and I've rarely had an issue since.

1 hour ago, JonRobertson said:

Once I removed Navigator and Bookmarks, all of the IDE instability disappeared and I've rarely had an issue since.

Early on I read the terms for the Parnassus stuff, and it included text about sending system information back to them. I have avoided them since because the code to do that often hangs the IDE or causes issues when a security system/IDS/IDP blocks such collection and communication.

From the Data section of License Agreement - Parnassus OÜ

You agree that Parnassus OÜ may gather technical data and related information, including but not limited to information about your computer system, applications, peripherals and other related data. Parnassus may use this information, so long as it is in a form that does not personally identify you, to improve or modify the functionality of Parnassus software and services. Parnassus may use this information, including in a form that may personally identify you, for customer support and in efforts to combat piracy.

1 hour ago, Brian Evans said:

Early on I read the terms for the Parnassus stuff, and it included text about sending system information back to them. I have avoided them since because the code to do that often hangs the IDE or causes issues when a security system/IDS/IDP blocks such collection and communication.

From the Data section of License Agreement - Parnassus OÜ

Thank you to every one.

I changed the emulation settings to strict execution: I think it did cause some improvement. I had already checked all paths and they were good. I also have no networked drives in any of the library paths, which can cause problems.

I do not not believe that those Parnassus terms still apply. The new terms are Embarcadero's and can be found at https://getitnow.embarcadero.com/Navigator-12-1.6.5.2/

I am so used to Navigator's ctrl-G for jumping around the code ... what do you use? As mentioned, I uninstalled all plugins and still had a freeze. But I can't disagree that the freeze might be due to network activity.

Thank you all again!

4 hours ago, Navid Madani said:

I am so used to Navigator's ctrl-G for jumping around the code ... what do you use? 

For code navigation I use MMX Code Explorer which was taken over by Uwe Raabe and is available for free. I have a large wide screen monitor so docking the MMX navigation panes works well. 

A New Home for ModelMaker Code Explorer™ – MMX (mmx-delphi.de)

MMX – speed up your Delphi development (mmx-delphi.de)

Just an update: I went the long way: after a fresh installation of Windows ARM via Parallels, RAD Studio 12.1, and MMX Code Explorer (and avoided all Parnassus plugins), it looks like a fix.  The IDE is faster, and no longer sluggish.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions.