TimC

RAD Studio v12.1 Toolbars Wonky Behavior

I am running v12.1 IDE.  I cannot seem to have multiple tools bars visible at the same time.  For example if I want to use the VIEW toolbar so I can toggle between the UI and the code I cannot hat the debug toolbar enabled.  Or vice-versa.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Does anyone have a fix?

Thanks in Advance

-Tim C.

Are you using High-DPI? I was using mine in a multi-monitor setup where one of the monitors is High DPI and the other is regular resolution. My default desktop would run Delphi on the High-DPI monitor so I could see more on the screen at once while coding but I wanted to see the code while running the application, also on High-DPI, so the debug desktop was on the other monitor. After a few debug sessions with Delphi switching back and forth between the monitors, it started going wonky, so I just gave up and now always run Delphi on the High-DPI monitor only (always in DPI-unaware mode).

But yeah, I remember toolbars disappearing or showing in weird places.

I am glad that I am not the only who have had this issue. Using IDE on multiple monitors is not reliable. I am using that way only when I have to debug High-DPI or multi monitor setup, otherwise the IDE is on my secondary 2k monitor and laptop display is turned off.

3 hours ago, corneliusdavid said:

I was using mine in a multi-monitor setup where one of the monitors is High DPI and the other is regular resolution.

Good to know I am not the only one with that kind of setup. And yes, the toolbars are being scrambled on my system too. And I don't even move the IDE between the HighDPI and normal display, it stays on the HighDPI display all the time. That doesn't prevent the problem from occurring though.

I have ceated a bug report on this in the new qp (again):

IDE toolbars get scrambled over time

The toolbars of the IDE lose icons when starting, exiting and restarting the IDE multiple times (see screenshot). This bug had already been reported in the old quality portal for Delphi 11 and 12. It’s still there in Delphi 12.1. Resetting the toolbars to their default using the View → Toolbars → Customize dialog, helps for a while before the same happens again.

• Like 2

I am also using the IDE on an HIDPI monitor and simultaneously on a regular one.

I also find that the toolbars are all moved or gradually enlarged. In my case, it seems to me that the problem occurs when returning from a computer standby (returning from a lunch break) or even when only the monitor goes into standby because it has been inactive for a few minutes; in these cases, when the PC or monitor reactivates, I see the IDE flickering, and I find the toolbars messed up.

To fix them, I also do right-click on the toolbars, select "customize," choose the displayed toolbars, and click the "reset" button, and almost always everything goes back to normal.

With this issue, I have often found the sizes of the forms open in the IDE at that moment messed up. Now I am getting into the habit of closing the IDE when I'm not using it and if I have to step away from the PC (which is ridiculous!).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davide Angeli said:

To fix them, I also do right-click on the toolbars, select "customize," choose the displayed toolbars, and click the "reset" button, and almost always everything goes back to normal.

That's a great tip--I never noticed the "reset" button but I'll have to try that next time things look weird.

I wish they would skip the High DPI Aware functionality and give the users control of IDE GUI Scaling of Icons and font sizes.  I use other apps that work like this and I have good results.

24 minutes ago, Kgorinyane said:

Use any database. ... Please help and thank you in advanced.

What does this have to do with Wonky Toolbars?

@Kgorinyane, please repost in a new topic.