Maxime Janvier

Avoid parameter evaluation

On 7/27/2024 at 4:27 PM, dummzeuch said:

No, you are wrong. Even anonymous methods were in Java first.

Clipper and I think Smalltalk had anonymous methods as well. And this at the time when Java was not even born.

Christian

On 7/29/2024 at 10:16 PM, chkaufmann said:

Clipper and I think Smalltalk had anonymous methods as well. And this at the time when Java was not even born.

Christian

IIRC, Smalltalk was the first language that popularized the notion of 'classes' and OOP, although classes were first implemented in Modula which never really got much traction.

Both Modula and Smalltalk were way ahead of their time.

On 7/27/2024 at 6:19 AM, Lajos Juhász said:

do not forget that multi-line strings completely broke the IDE. For D13 they will have to change the code in the IDE to support them.

I'm still using D10.4.2, and it has trouble dealing with inline vars that have been in C++ since it was released in 1985. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2024 at 7:27 AM, dummzeuch said:

No, you are wrong. Even anonymous methods were in Java first.

Nope, as Remy pointed out, they weren't actually supported until Java 7 or 8. I remember reading a bunch of stuff back when Java 8 was released about how difficult it was for them to get the anonymous methods working, and they weren't even supported as "first class objects". They were improved in the next version and the syntax was simplified significantly. I was at some tech event shortly after Java 8 was released, and I happened to talk with the SW Dev Mgr who coordinated a rather large team of Java devs at a local company, and asked him what version of Java they were using. He admitted they has finally just switched over to Java 6 about 6 months earlier, and it took them a couple of years to do that. I asked what their plans were to migrate to Java 8. He said the architecture of their overall system was unable to handle it, and they had started on a mission to completely rebuild the system from scratch that could track newer Java releases.

I played with Java for about a week and quickly got disgusted with it. I don't know who thought it would be a Good Idea to put Configuration Management stuff into a programming language, but I think it was a truly insane idea. That was what the aforementioned manager was referring to, because their system got boxed-in and the architecture calcified because of so much of that and how inflexible it was. Even Delphi does a better job at that than Java does!

Delphi has supported lambdas and closures as "first class objects" since they were first introduced, or maybe the following update. (I wasn't paying much attention at the time.)

Edited by David Schwartz

On 8/4/2024 at 12:27 PM, David Schwartz said:

IIRC, Smalltalk was the first language that popularized the notion of 'classes' and OOP, although classes were first implemented in Modula which never really got much traction.

Both Modula and Smalltalk were way ahead of their time.

You mean Simula. Modula had no classes.

Btw. Anonymous functions have been a feature of programming languages since Lisp in 1958. That was really a long time ago.

On 8/7/2024 at 8:32 AM, Frickler said:

You mean Simula. Modula had no classes.

Btw. Anonymous functions have been a feature of programming languages since Lisp in 1958. That was really a long time ago.

Yup, you're right about Simula vs. Modula.

I learned LISP in college. I found it to be a very strange language, but it helped me really understand recursive programming. It probably did support a lot of things, including anonymous functions, but we didn't get that far in the class. I wouldn't hold it up as an exemplar for much of anything other than an interesting experiment at the time. It was an interpreter that took very few resources and let you create programs by defining rabbit holes to go down. Unlike most other languages, iteration was much harder to do than recursion. But I guess it was a good learning tool for a few things, given what was available at the time.