PeterPanettone

Show executable size after successful build?

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Well, the size of the executable created is just as important (or even more important) information than the build/compile time, which has always been displayed.

Actually, this is no longer true.

image.thumb.png.74b23abcda3adb8e13a1468cd494d2f0.png

I actually like this. It's only showing useful information (perhaps with the exception of line count). I'd prefer they not add details here that I won't always be interested in. I can open Explorer if I care what the final output file size is. And I just realized I do not miss having a compile time shown.

Edited by Brandon Staggs

4 minutes ago, Brandon Staggs said:

I actually like

For individual preferences, we have OPTIONS.

"The assumption or desire to transfer one's needs to the general public is a symptom of neurotically exaggerated ego-referentiality, often triggered by childhood regression." (Quote from a professional psychologist).

2 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

For individual preferences, we have OPTIONS.

"The assumption or desire to transfer one's needs to the general public is a symptom of neurotically exaggerated ego-referentiality, often triggered by childhood regression." (Quote from a professional psychologist).

What an absurd application. All UI design forces deciding what most people will like or need. Even offering options requires deciding what options will have potential use. Why should developers at Embarcadero spend development time adding potentially unlimited options for display to a simple status dialog without a reasonable broad-case need for it? No serious developer adds an option just because it is technically possible to add it. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Brandon Staggs said:

status dialog

Nobody said "status dialog". We call this the "Messages" window:

image.thumb.png.f0f0de47a7e18b6e606db533ecf6f42d.png

Edited by PeterPanettone

You've spent more time posting here than you would ever save from this feature existing

5 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Five monkeys are placed in a cage with a banana hanging from a ladder. Every time a monkey tries to get the banana, all the monkeys are splashed with cold water. Soon, each monkey hits anyone who tries to get the banana to avoid punishment.

So the banana is a representation of executable size? Fascinating.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

You've spent

That's just fun. I am a multitasking guy. It's also part of a psychological study for which I'm being paid.

I am also collecting material for my new Delphi book: "Neurotic disorders in hobby programmers."

Edited by PeterPanettone

32 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Nobody said "status dialog". We call this the "Messages" window:

image.thumb.png.f0f0de47a7e18b6e606db533ecf6f42d.png

Indeed, my mistake.

Not sure why we need even more stuff pumped into that, but whatever. Someone else already showed you how you can get it with a build event, so your problem should be solved by now.

26 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

It's also part of a psychological study for which I'm being paid.

Astonishingly rigorous methodology you've got here! 

1 hour ago, David Heffernan said:

You've spent more time posting here than you would ever save from this feature existing

Probably even more than implementing that feature in a plugin would take.