Darian Miller

Java Updated License Terms and Delphi

I've been mostly living under a rock for a number of months... I just came out and installed my brand new copy of 10.3.1 and quickly went to lunch while it installed.

I came back and noticed the familiar Java update pending notice and started quickly clicking to get it updated before jumping into some dev work.  I then noticed the Updated License Terms screen and the "This version of the Java Runtime is licensed only for your personal (non commercial) desktop and laptop use." disclaimer.

Has this topic been beat to death yet?  : )   Links please!

Seriously though - for commercial Delphi android development, does Embarcadero cover our commercial license with whatever bundled license they have, or do we need to go direct to Oracle?

Java_UpdatedTerms.png

• Like 3

Georgge,

Thank you for providing that link. On my reading of the page it is only OpenJDK which is free for commercial organisations.

According to the above graphic 'Java Setup' it must be the non-free version which Delphi is installing.

On 6/20/2019 at 4:46 AM, sjordi said:

Isn't OpenJDK already what is deployed with RadStudio now?

No, that is apparently the main problem here.  I installed a licensed commercial product from Embarcadero and was presented with a popup from the Java update stating that the license provided on the update is for non-commercial use only.  I assume the version installed with Delphi was an older version and you are simply disallowed from updating it to the latest version unless you get a commercial license.  My question was - did Embarcadero manage a commercial license which covers our use?

I had assumed this topic was already discussed in length...but apparently not.  I assume people are just ignoring that warning in the Java update screen.

I just installed Delphi 10.3.2 and noted that the version of the JDK provided was Version 8 / Update 60 (8u60) build: 1.8.0_60-b27 which was originally released Aug 18, 2015.

Given the list of vulnerabilities discovered over the last 4 years, I assume Embarcadero is actively working on replacing the included Java version to a much more recent OpenJDK.  Their quality portal is down again tonight, but I'll likely create a request to get this ancient Java version updated in future versions of Delphi.