dmitrybv

How to correctly write a universal project for both Windows and Andorid platforms?

Hello.

Is there any set of recommendations on how to correctly perform checks and write code in a project that will compile under Windows Desktop and Android Mobile?

For example, how to open windows correctly and organize the transition back and forth if the full-screen mobile mode is working.

What to use instead of MainMenu and PopupMenu in mobile applications?

This strongly depends on the context your app is used in, or rather what your app is supposed to do. I would not even try to write a word processor for Android, unless I could assume that all users have a real keyboard.Even then the Android version would be stripped of some features.

I would also create a UI which would be very similar in both worlds, so no MainMenu and no PopupMenu. Those would be replaced by something like the FMX.TMultiView.

But I guess looking at tutorials might give you the best ideas. So here goes:

https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Athens/en/Tutorials

https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Athens/en/Multi-Device_Applications_Index

and maybe this:

4 hours ago, dmitrybv said:

For example, how to open windows correctly and organize the transition back and forth if the full-screen mobile mode is working.

One thing you would want to do is use single form as a container and organize all other forms as frames. Working with multiple forms on mobile is major PITA and docking frames in that main form container is much simpler for switching between views.

You can still have multiple forms and dialogs on Windows if needed where you will dock the same frame used in mobile, on the separate container form.

20 hours ago, Sherlock said:

This strongly depends on the context your app is used in, or rather what your app is supposed to do. I would not even try to write a word processor for Android, unless I could assume that all users have a real keyboard.Even then the Android version would be stripped of some features.

I would also create a UI which would be very similar in both worlds, so no MainMenu and no PopupMenu. Those would be replaced by something like the FMX.TMultiView.

The multi view is a good idea for smartphones but a menu on Windows and a toolbar on Mac are better. Why having to click somewhere to access things we could have on screen without clicking on it ? (and don't forget keys shortcuts)
Depending on the app, don't forget Android can be used on Chromebooks and other devices with a real keyboard.

• Like 1