Miguel Jr

How to resolve error in Database Desktop execution in Delphi 7

You need to run the database desktop application in the menu tools of Delphi 7 but these two messages appear: "private directory is invalid or undefined. using temporary directory instead." e "working directory is invalid or undefined. use startup directory instead." Is anyone able to help me please? To continue programming the application.

I won't wait, Respectfully, Miguel A. F. D. Jr.

Captura de tela 2024-09-02 134813.png

Captura de tela 2024-09-02 134828.png

Those are warnings shown, because those directories are not configured and program uses default values... That is not an issue at all, in older Windowses it would still launch. But Database Desktop does not work with Windows 10  or 11 (I do not remember, which version of Windows 10 broke it).

So, how can I make it work? Working with Windows 11. Is there no way to configure it? Subtly, is there any help on how to make it work?

As far as I know, there is no way to make it work on windows 10 or 11... Only way I know, is to use a computer (maybe virtual) with older version of Windows.

Understood. You say install a virtual machine and create an environment. For example: you have Windows 8. You can create an environment with it and install Delphi 7 to run the Database Desktop. That's what you say, right?

Yes.

Other way would be to try to write your own replacement for database desktop. Lot of depends, what features of it are you using.

I mean replacement program, that does what you want database desktop to do.

I do not understand the question. Database Desktop works with paradox tables and dbf files. Interbase or IBexpert do not. So they are not replacement for Database Desktop.

I've been using BDE to work with Paradox. I don't know if it's Database Destkop. There is a version for D11. I don't know if there is one for D12.

BDE is not Database Desktop. As I  told before, it is program for viewing and modifying Paradox and DBase tables using BDE. It was part of Dephi install in the past versions.

3 hours ago, Miguel Jr said:

So what replaces Database Desktop

About three decades of progress.

Database Desktop was, as far as I remember, a heavily trimmed down version of the Paradox front end. Borland sold Paradox to Corel in the 90s and apparently Corel, or whatever they're called these days, is still stuck with it.

So if you want a query tool that support Paradox and runs on modern Windows your best bet is probably Wordperfect Office (shudder).

I have a Delphi 7 book and it teaches you how to use the Database Desktop. But I don't know which one is compatible to work in Delphi 7 similar to the Database Desktop. If you can tell me I'll be grateful.

12 minutes ago, Stano said:

I've been using BDE to work with Paradox. I don't know if it's Database Destkop. There is a version for D11. I don't know if there is one for D12.

I have a Delphi 7 book and it teaches you how to use the Database Desktop. But I don't know which one is compatible to work in Delphi 7 similar to the Database Desktop. If you can tell me I'll be grateful.

PdxEditor replaces quite a bit

12 hours ago, miab said:

I've already downloaded it. It should be similar to the desktop database. I'll study it and see how I can replace it and use the book as a guide.

14 hours ago, miab said:

It doesn't have a user-friendly interface. It doesn't look anything like what I see in the Database Desktop book.