Sign in to follow this  
CoeurdeLeon

File Open Dialog Preview

What File Open dialog supports preview of the file to be opened.  I am using Delphi 12.2.

Thank you in advance.

I would like to clarify.  I am looking for a Dialog that allows a user to select a file and that file content is displayed to the right.  This allows the user to select the file knowing he has the right file.

What delphi dialog achieves this objective?

Thank you in advance.

46 minutes ago, CoeurdeLeon said:

I have tried this and cannot see a preview of the file.  What am I doing wrong?

Set the fdoForcePreviewPaneOn flag on in the Options property. It should be noted however, that this will work only where preview of the selected file type is supported.

Edited by Dave Nottage

10 hours ago, CoeurdeLeon said:

I have tried this and cannot see a preview of the file.  What am I doing wrong?

You might have missed to make the preview pane visible, either by clicking the corresponding symbol or by setting the appropriate option ad Dave already mentioned.

image.png.8cfd6dbae1f291d7821a8d1bb4aacc9b.png

9 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

It should be noted however, that this will work only where preview of the selected file type is supported.

Of course, if there is no code to create a preview it obviously cannot be shown.

In case you think about creating your own previews used by Windows Explorer, I once wrote an article about how to do that with Delphi: Windows 7 Previews – the Delphi Way (not sure if that is still valid for more recent Windows versions, though).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

In case you think about creating your own previews used by Windows Explorer

SVG Shell Extensions contains examples of how to create Windows File Explorer extensions, both preview and thumbnail.

• Like 1