shun

Identifying Third-Party and Custom Components

Hello,

I am currently considering migrating a project developed with C++Builder. In this project, we are using both third-party and custom components, and I would like to assess their impact on the migration. Could anyone suggest tools or methods to identify these components effectively?

• C++Builder: Version 5, Enterprise Edition

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, shun said:

Could anyone suggest tools or methods to identify these components effectively?

AFAIK, there are no such tools. You just have to analyze your project sources yourself. Identify which components your project uses, and which package each component comes from. Then determine whether each package comes with the IDE, was developed in-house, or was obtained from a 3rd party.

It might be worth writing a small tool yourself to help you parse your DFMs/code looking for component names and use RTTI to extract unit/package information for each one. But I don't recall right now whether the RTTI in C++Builder 5 was rich enough to have that kind of information. I'll have to look next time I'm at my computer. 

Edited by Remy Lebeau

9 hours ago, shun said:

Hello,

I am currently considering migrating a project developed with C++Builder. In this project, we are using both third-party and custom components, and I would like to assess their impact on the migration. Could anyone suggest tools or methods to identify these components effectively?

• C++Builder: Version 5, Enterprise Edition

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

For Delphi, I would use "grep" on .dfm files, searching for lines starting with "object" and may be "inherited":

object ActionList1: TActionList

From this lines, component type can be extracted. Remove duplicates, may be count occurencies...

It does not tell from which unit that component comes, but I suppose most of them could be identified.