Phil J.

Delphi 10.3.3 CE IDE issues

I've installed the latest Delphi CE, Rio 10.3.3, and am experiencing some very strange behavior. When I open a project, or start a new one, nothing displays properly, and the menus are visually unresponsive. If I press F12 to switch to the code editor, nothing happens until I click the mouse in the editing area, and then some text appears. If I then scroll up and down eventually all the code in the unit does appear. The menus never appear when clicked, settings dialogs don't appear, the component palette, object inspector, etc. are all not visible.

Oddly enough, 10.3.2 works perfectly, no visual glitches at all. But 10.3.3 is literally unusable for me, which is disappointing. I cannot think of anything else to try: my video drivers are up to date (according to Windows, anyway), I've tried completely removing and re-installing, and it's made no difference.

One other thing: with just the IDE open and a project loaded, the Windows task manager/performance tab shows +50% cpu usage!

Obviously something has changed in the IDE, but I don't know what might cause this problem.

The computer I'm using is by no means state-of-the-art: it's old, and runs Windows 7. But 10.3.2 works perfectly on the same hardware...

I'm open to any suggestions of things to try (other than replacing the computer, that's not going to happen any time soon). Otherwise, I'll simply go back to 10.3.2...Thanks!

Edited by Phil J.

Delphi Rio introduced new IDE styling (themes) that are not exactly super performant. If you have older computer, you might have some issues. I don't think you should have as much problem as you describe, but anything is possible.

You can try disabling new IDE theming and use default Windows theme. You can find how to do that at https://dalijap.blogspot.com/2019/05/disable-delphi-rio-ide-theme.html

I have to mention that using Windows theme is no longer officially supported and you can run into some issues because of that. I have been using Rio with default Windows theme since it was released and I didn't have any major issues (ones I did have - crashes in GetIt package manager and Find in files) have been resolved in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Delphi Rio introduced new IDE styling (themes) that are not exactly super performant. If you have older computer, you might have some issues. I don't think you should have as much problem as you describe, but anything is possible.

You can try disabling new IDE theming and use default Windows theme. You can find how to do that at https://dalijap.blogspot.com/2019/05/disable-delphi-rio-ide-theme.html

I have to mention that using Windows theme is no longer officially supported and you can run into some issues because of that. I have been using Rio with default Windows theme since it was released and I didn't have any major issues (ones I did have - crashes in GetIt package manager and Find in files) have been resolved in the meantime.

Dalija, thank you VERY much! That did the trick. So it looks like I'll be able to use the latest for my hobby experiments, and that's a good thing.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

@Phil J. If I may ask, what are your computer specs? CPU, screen resolution, graphics card? 

I would like to file issue in Quality Portal so adding those specifications might help in pinpointing and fixing the problem for the future. 

I don't think it can be completely fixed because using styled custom painting on top of Windows controls can never be as fast as plain Windows painting, but speed improvements might be possible.

7 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

@Phil J. If I may ask, what are your computer specs? CPU, screen resolution, graphics card? 

I would like to file issue in Quality Portal so adding those specifications might help in pinpointing and fixing the problem for the future. 

I don't think it can be completely fixed because using styled custom painting on top of Windows controls can never be as fast as plain Windows painting, but speed improvements might be possible.

Oh, it's really an old system...

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2

RAM: 8 GB

Video: Nvidia 9500 GT

Screen Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Storage: 320 GB WD Blue

As I say, really ancient, but has worked just fine for anything I've wanted to do up to this point.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Phil J. said:

nothing displays properly

10.3.3 breaks display when I RDP into the VM .. again (10.3.1 had this issue).

So badly that its not usable without IDE Fix Pack 6.4.4.

1 hour ago, Sherlock said:

It is strange though that this is having such an impact when switching from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3, don't you think @Dalija Prasnikar?

They fiddled around with theming support in 10.3.3 and there were some changes... apparently not all were for the better. 

Right now, theming is my number one suspect when IDE is misbehaving... and (unfortunately) usually I am right about that

• Like 1

Hi guys! I had the same problem with Rio. CPU utilization up to 50%.
The solution suggested by @Dalija Prasnikar helped me.
I suspect Rio is trying to use the capabilities of the GPU that are not available in older GPU.

Technical specifications of my computer:
Athlon X2 5200+
RAM 4Gb DDR2
VC Radeon X1600
SSD

I tried on Windows 32-bit and 64-bit. The result is the same.

Delphi_freezing.png

Edited by Ivan Yuzafatau