Tommi Prami

Difference between FastMM 4.992 and one that comes with Delphi (10.3)

At first (2007 era) when FastMM4 was added into delphi as default memory manager there was some debug stuff removed I think.

Is that the case still? Does anyone know reason why Embarcadero does not use the "full" version of it?

Asked around Facebook I think, who uses internal and Who uses latest FastMM4 I think almost all used the latest one instead of one shipped with delphi.

Which one you use?

-Tee- 

Official one - shipped one does not have the ability to report the exact allocation callstacks or detect use after free.

It's nice to see *that* you have a memory leak with the shipped one but not knowing where exactly it comes from (unless the class name gives a direct hint) is pretty useless.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tommi Prami said:

At first (2007 era) when FastMM4 was added into delphi as default memory manager there was some debug stuff removed I think.

Is that the case still?

Yes.

Does anyone know reason why Embarcadero does not use the "full" version of it?

Everyone's situations are different, requiring different FastMM configurations, and most of those settings can't be set dynamically at runtime.  So it makes sense for Embarcadero to ship with a minimal configuration and let people upgrade to the full version if they need to customize the settings.

Asked around Facebook I think, who uses internal and Who uses latest FastMM4 I think almost all used the latest one instead of one shipped with delphi.

Yes, but not everyone uses the same configuration.

Which one you use?

Full :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Like 1