pyscripter

Delphi 10.4.1 LIBSUFFIX AUTO

LIBSUFFIX AUTO has been a much requested feature for ages.  The Delphi 10.4.1 announcement said:

Package AUTO libsuffix: packages can now have an automatic version suffix, instead of manually updating and specifying the right version suffix with each new release. (The compiler quietly supported this in 10.4, but full support for the feature in the IDE and package project settings is introduced in 10.4.1.)

Sounded interesting so I decided to try that.  I first searched the documentation and found the following:

Note: In RAD Studio Sydney 10.4, the $LIBSUFFIX directive allows the use of an AUTO option. This option makes the compiler use the current release number for packages, it also allows to upgrade a package to a new release, with no need to update the libsuffix value.

So I added {$LIBSUFFIX AUTO} to a package of mine say xyz.dpk  and the bpl file generated was indeed xyz270.bpl.   However I got an error message saying:

[Fatal Error] Can't load package xyzAUTO.bpl.
The system cannot find the file specified 

This much for "full support" for this feature.  :classic_angry:   Am I missing something??

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, pyscripter said:

However I got an error message saying:

When did you get that message? On package install?

I don't have 10.4.1 installed at the moment (tested the uninstaller yesterday and haven't had time to install again) so I can't try myself.

Did the same test and same problem, but on Win32. On Win64 it works properly for me

18 hours ago, pyscripter said:

This much for "full support" for this feature.  :classic_angry:   Am I missing something??

The actual {$LIBSUFFIX AUTO} directive was added to the compiler in 10.4, but they didn't advertise its existence yet, so nobody has really played with it until now.  So, if the linkage is broken now, it was probably broken in 10.4 to begin with and nobody noticed.

10.4.1 just adds the ability to set the libsuffix to AUTO in the Project Options dialog.

I don't have 10.4 or 10.4.1 installed, so I can't test this myself.

I created a ticket for this:

RSP-30820: Fail to load package with LIBSUFFIX AUTO

Edited by Remy Lebeau

18 hours ago, pyscripter said:

LIBSUFFIX AUTO has been a much requested feature for ages.  The Delphi 10.4.1 announcement said:

Sounded interesting so I decided to try that.  I first searched the documentation and found the following:

So I added {$LIBSUFFIX AUTO} to a package of mine say xyz.dpk  and the bpl file generated was indeed xyz270.bpl.   However I got an error message saying:

The new drop down inserts $(Auto)    Have you tried that text?

23 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

The new drop down inserts $(Auto)    Have you tried that text?

Thanks Darian.  I did.  The problem only happens when you have a dpk file without a project file.  If the dpk file contains the new directive {$LIBSUFFIX AUTO} the IDE does not recognize that and thinks the actual suffix is "AUTO".

Edited by pyscripter

11 minutes ago, pyscripter said:

Thanks Darian.  I did.  The problem happens when you have a dpk file without a project file.  If the dpk file contains the new directive {$LIBSUFFIX AUTO} the IDE does not recognize that and thinks the actual suffix is "AUTO".

Ah, ok.  I didn't try that yet.