pcplayer99

How to operate a private field in other unit?

5 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

But we digress...

Yes, and ignore all those other flaws never fixed in the compiler to fixate on WITH which at times is the ONLY way to bypass EMBT bugs without updating to an arguably less stable version of Delphi.

6 hours ago, pcplayer99 said:

Thanks FredS

FYI: This is your thread so you should get notification of all replies to it.

But I only get notification when someone quotes, 'Likes' or adds me as a Tag.
In short if someone didn't give my post a like I would have never seen your reply.

I am still failing to understand how banishing with from the language would help refactoring code that uses it.

Don't get me wrong - I am no big fan of that thing either and very very rarely use it - but all the hate usually comes from the fact that it's been used in hard to maintain code.

That code has been written already and needs to get fixed. Yes, if it were not part of the language anymore at some point in the future code would not contain it anymore - but people that want to write bad code would still have plenty of opportunities to do so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

but people that want to write bad code would still have plenty of opportunities to do so

Please, don't inject common sense into the Anti-With argument 🙂

That said, I used to write WITH six even eight levels deep. Thought nothing of it, surely everyone knew the classes referenced within that and it was clear which one the property belonged to..

Returning to that code ten years later was less fun..

• Haha 1