Ian Branch

Can't load LivePreview270.bpl

Hi Team,

D10.4.2.

I have just removed all the apparent 'Indy' related files per the 'Indy 10 Installation Instructions', and installed the current Indy 10 from GitHub.

That all went well.

I may have deleted something that looked like an Indy file but either wasn't, or was but is needed by LivePreview.

LivePreview.bpl is present in the indicated directory.

When I go to start D10.4.2 now I get the attached error message.

I click Yes so I can keep it in my mind.  I have no idea what it is for.

Can anybody make an educated guess as to what LivePreview might now be missing?

All the files are either in my Recycle bin or in a .rar file, depending.

Regards & TIA,

Ian

Screenshot_6.jpg

Edited by Ian Branch

I got the same issue, but since Live Preview is a firemonkey/mobile thing which I don't use, I just clicked on No and moved on! My guess is it's linked to one of the Indy bpl's, and the only choice you have is a) undo what you did or b) Lose the feature. 

I annoys me how the IDE ships with and depends on Indy, If they use it, they should take a private copy of the library (ie rename the units) - that way we are free to update Indy without jumping through hoops.. pretty much the first thing I do after installing delphi is remove Indy (so I can use a later or known version). 

As far as I know, there is no dependence between these two worlds.

You re-install the BPL just by going to: Components -> Install package and looking for the BPL in the "BIN" folder of your IDE. Or, if necessary, you can recompile the project found at: 😄 \ EMB \ RADStudio \ 200 \ source \ Tools \ FireUIAppPreview

The message is clear: probably the BPL file or its dependent (DCP) does not exist in the indicated path. Just re-install using the process above and the IDE does the rest.

hug

20 minutes ago, emailx45 said:

You re-install the BPL just by going to: Components -> Install package and looking for the BPL in the "BIN" folder of your IDE. Or, if necessary, you can recompile the project found at: 😄 \ EMB \ RADStudio \ 200 \ source \ Tools \ FireUIAppPreview

The message is clear: probably the BPL file or its dependent (DCP) does not exist in the indicated path. Just re-install using the process above and the IDE does the rest.

In Delphi 10.4 the folder in source\tools\FireUIAppPreview contains a source of an application (hint it's LivePreview.dpr not LivePReview.dpk). Where I can find a tool to convert it to a bpl?

a DPK dont stay to BPL at end? Are we talking about Delphi or what?

type errors happens! mainly, using smartphone ... little screen, bad light, walking on the street, etc. etc. etc.

hug

I annoys me how the IDE ships with and depends on Indy, If they use it, they should take a private copy of the library (ie rename the units)

They DO use a private copy, actually.  It is hidden behind an abstraction layer that their technologies use internally.  No need to rename units (I hate how IntraWeb does that for its private copy of Indy).

that way we are free to update Indy without jumping through hoops..

Users are supposed to be free to update the public bundled copy of Indy without breaking the private copy.  That is why the abstraction layer was created.  Well, that is the theory anyway, but there are a few cracks where not all pieces are using the abstraction layer correctly/at all.  DataSnap, LiveTiles, and now LivePreview it seems, depend on the shipped copy of Indy rather than the private copy.  I have just filed a ticket with Embarcadero: RSP-33397: Can't load LivePreview270.bpl after updating Indy

pretty much the first thing I do after installing delphi is remove Indy (so I can use a later or known version). 

Same here.  It is a goal to eventually get Indy added to GetIt, I just haven't had any time to work on it.  Indy's complicated install steps for C++Builder need to be refined a bit first.

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2021 at 6:14 PM, Remy Lebeau said:

They DO use a private copy, actually.  It is hidden behind an abstraction layer that their technologies use internally.  No need to rename units (I hate how IntraWeb does that for its private copy of Indy).

Users are supposed to be free to update the public bundled copy of Indy without breaking the private copy.  That is why the abstraction layer was created.  Well, that is the theory anyway, but there are a few cracks where not all pieces are using the abstraction layer correctly/at all.  DataSnap, LiveTiles, and now LivePreview it seems, depend on the shipped copy of Indy rather than the private copy.  I have just filed a ticket with Embarcadero: RSP-33397: Can't load LivePreview270.bpl after updating Indy

Same here.  It is a goal to eventually get Indy added to GetIt, I just haven't had any time to work on it.  Indy's complicated install steps for C++Builder need to be refined a bit first.

What is the solution to this if one would like to keep LivePreview? Can the packages be rebuilt? (Happened to me on Delphi 11)

5 hours ago, PeaShooter_OMO said:

What is the solution to this if one would like to keep LivePreview?

You would likely have to restore the original shipped copy of Indy when working with LivePreview and other affected projects.

5 hours ago, PeaShooter_OMO said:

Can the packages be rebuilt?

Embarcadero's shipped packages cannot be rebuilt, no.  I recall at one point that the abstraction layer could be recompiled when updating Indy, but I don't have up-to-date details about how to do that in modern IDE versions.