PeterPanettone

Strange Dialog UI

10 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

What could be done to visually optimize this strange dialog UI:

Put the label above the edit field.

1 minute ago, dummzeuch said:

Put the label above the edit field.

That's a very good idea! But HOW MUCH above the edit field? And should the Label.Layout be tlToptlBottom, or tlCenter?

So far above that it can be read at design time. The scaling of the form should take care of different DPI.

As for the layout: I never bothered to use anything but the default for labels.

This kind of display errors are often seen when the IDE is used in a High-DPI environment with GDI scaling. Windows sometimes select font sizes slightly larger as the scaling suggests. It is pretty hard to detect this inside the application, The only workaround I am aware of is to give some extra space between controls to cover these cases.

7 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

This kind of display errors are often seen when the IDE is used in a High-DPI environment with GDI scaling. Windows sometimes select font sizes slightly larger as the scaling suggests. It is pretty hard to detect this inside the application, The only workaround I am aware of is to give some extra space between controls to cover these cases.

Dear Uwe, yes please add some extra space and put the labels above the edit-fields. Correct the UI bugs made by the previous author.

54 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Correct the UI bugs made by the previous author.

These are not UI bugs in the first place. The form design looks quite OK during design time (the "String" label is changed dynamically) and run time on my system.
image.png.09b035ae014a0d407b42cc27fea82d3f.pngimage.png.b6cc3e12de6b06fe7a452c4f3fe27db8.png

You can see that there is still some difference in the gap between External File and the combo box.

I guess, your display problems are due to some buggy scaling of the Delphi IDE, which is to be expected as long as the IDE doesn't support High DPI properly. There is not much I can do about that.

23 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

There is not much I can do about that.

What about putting the labels/radio buttons above the input fields? That would work even if scaling fails.

2 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

These are not UI bugs in the first place. The form design looks quite OK during design time (the "String" label is changed dynamically) and run time on my system.
image.png.09b035ae014a0d407b42cc27fea82d3f.pngimage.png.b6cc3e12de6b06fe7a452c4f3fe27db8.png

You can see that there is still some difference in the gap between External File and the combo box.

I guess, your display problems are due to some buggy scaling of the Delphi IDE, which is to be expected as long as the IDE doesn't support High DPI properly. There is not much I can do about that.

BTW, what does "Convert to const" mean? And yes, you could put the labels above the edit fields (as Thomas suggested). Which is a common UI suggestion. What is the difference between theory and practice?

Why so many developers have a deep love for TINY LITTLE BOXES and refute to make functional dialogs?

(When thinking about little boxes, this wonderful folk-song came to my mind):

)

Edited by PeterPanettone