Gary Mugford

Blast from the past: BDE and Win10 W/S

Before I start, I have to confess to be trying to rewrite the systems software using NexusDB. Progressing, but but not fast enough.

In the meantime, our decades-old app is encountering pervasive corruption issues with BDE using Paradox file formats, Windows Server 2013 and NOW mostly workstations running Windows 10 and kept up to date. The problem started with the Fall 2017 update to Windows. Ever since, we have had a regular series of Blob is Modified and Index out of Date errors. We cope by having all seats (approx. 50) get out of the app and associated programs. We run reBuilder which is a modified version of PdxRbd. Then it's back in and we wait for minutes, sometimes an hour when the cycle repeats itself. Sometimes we get people jumping back in early during the rebuild and THAT EATS THE DATABASE with a not that there has been a sharing violation. Luckily, we do zip up a copy of the raw data before hand and can recover in that circumstance. But it's a LITTLE stressful to see major databases disappear from one minute to the next. And when it happens when I'm not there, the place ACTUALLY STOPS WORKING with the computer. Everything goes manual and that is NOT a good thing in today's world. 

I have theorized that this issue is related to continuing problems with BDE locks and Windows locks going out of sync, if they were ever IN sync. That said, I'm no Windows tech expert. Might be something else. Probably is something else.

What I am looking forward is a settings that can make BDE work in the Windows 10 environment the way it STILL WORKS for Windows 7. I don't have the ability to retrograde the OSs for the Work Station, although I spent a night writing up a proposal to do exactly that. The answer was no. Find another way. And I haven't. The non-answer has been to make the workers' endure the stop and start operation that occasionally results in unrecoverable data loss (mostly lines out of history memo fields). And it's getting a LOT worse and I'm still too far away with the NexusDB operation to look my fellow workers in the face.

So, I'm reaching out to you DATABASE EXPERTS (give yourself a pat on the back just for coming here to help out people like me) and see if any of you can remember back to when you ran BDE. Or might STILL be running BDE in a small controlled environment. And can suggest a setting, a tool, a whatever. I HAVE started running a virtual box test, but the Workstations all have minimal RAM and having half of it taken up by a vb that is running a short-memory Win7 environment to run the app, turns out to be glacially slow. Although it DOES work. So far, we have two computers set up that way and the hardware guy says he can average three more a week. Which means I would have possible solutions up and running some time in the late spring. At which point, I would hope my direct solution might be ready. So, as much hope as I had originally in the vbox concept, it's NOT the solution for the immediate crisis. 

Regardless of whether you have an answer, I thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope you and yours have the Merriest of holiday seasons and a sane and safe Happy New Year! GM

Loong time since BDE. Sounds like you could try TS/Citrix for the 50 in order to minimize corruption. The clients would be "closer" to the pdx tables and could maybe exit gracefully when connection problems arise.

/D

It is indeed quite a while since I had to cope with BDE problems, so my suggestion might be pretty outdated now. Nevertheless you can give it a try as it is only a small change in the registry.

What helped us in the past was disabling opportunistic locking at the server side (where the database files reside). For this you have to change the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\EnableOplocks from 1 to 0 (as 1 is the default value, it might even be absent). Note that you have to restart Windows to make this change effective.

A drawback of this setting is a possible overall network performance drop for that server system.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

What helped us in the past was disabling opportunistic locking at the server side (where the database files reside). For this you have to change the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\EnableOplocks from 1 to 0 (as 1 is the default value, it might even be absent). Note that you have to restart Windows to make this change effective.

If I remember correctly, it is possible to set this on a per file type basis, but I am not sure whether that was on Windows or Linux/Samba.

I would locate the problematic tables and outsource them into a decent DBMS and rewrite the affected parts using 2 concurrent connections to get some peace for the first time. Then I'd not touch it for the next decade.