Gord P

Multiple instances of C++Builder IDE

I stumbled on the fact that you can have two instances (or more) of the IDE running and open up different projects.  Is there any reason that this would be a bad idea?  Not sure if there would be some conflict if the IDE wants access to some file or something. 

I often work on two projects in two instances of the RAD Studio IDE - this works as far as I can judge, without any problems.

13 hours ago, Gord P said:

I stumbled on the fact that you can have two instances (or more) of the IDE running and open up different projects.  Is there any reason that this would be a bad idea? 

Some configuration settings will only be saved when exiting the IDE, so they will always reflect those of the IDE instance you closed last. This also applies to some IDE plugins (e.g. GExperts).

But apart from that there is nothing to prevent you from having multiple instances active.

18 hours ago, Gord P said:

I stumbled on the fact that you can have two instances (or more) of the IDE running and open up different projects.

One reason this is allowed is to allow debugging IDE plugins/packages at runtime.  You can have a plugin/package binary loaded in one instance of the IDE while another instance of the IDE has the plugin/package's project loaded and is debugging the plugin/package while it is running in the 1st instance.