LarsGP

Windows Dayligthsaving problem

Hi All

In my system Windows treats file timstamps differently depending on the drive concerned:

On the permanent, built-in drives (here c:\ and d:\), one hour is added to every file timestamp when we pass from winter to summer, but on any USB-drives this does not happen.

Does anybody know if this behavior can be counted on?

Regards Lars

Just discovered a new problem: I checked a few files that were present when we went into summer-time (daylight saving time) recently, and they matched the NTFS-FAT32 explanation. (NTSF-files changed timestamp, FAT32-files did not)

I then used Windows to copy a file from a NTSF-disk to a FAT32 disk. The copy ended up having the same time-info as the original, as displayed by windows.

I struggle to write code that compensates for both scenatios, and would appriciate advice.

Lars

19 minutes ago, LarsGP said:

I struggle to write code that compensates for both scenatios, and would appriciate advice.

You simply cannot. If that were possible, the NTFS handling wouldn't have to be implemented in the first place.

I seen a scheme where the file is name like this to allow futureorders dir  and settledorders dir sorting. 

Purchaseorder.vendor.20220115.xls    

Add NTFS partition to flash drive or new drive 

Edited by Pat Foley
add format

3 hours ago, LarsGP said:

Just discovered a new problem: I checked a few files that were present when we went into summer-time (daylight saving time) recently, and they matched the NTFS-FAT32 explanation. (NTSF-files changed timestamp, FAT32-files did not)

I then used Windows to copy a file from a NTSF-disk to a FAT32 disk. The copy ended up having the same time-info as the original, as displayed by windows.

Lars

Not sure whether this helps, but you should familiarize yourself with the behavior in Windows.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/sysinfo/file-times

I´m still annoyed with the fact that not even a running Delphi is able to appropriately deal with DST changes while running.
"No, all those files didn´t change... the time did."

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

a running Delphi is able to appropriately deal with DST changes while running.

You are working too much...

• Haha 4

I leave the PC and IDE running 24/7 (unless travelling). 

I do however check in to git before I go have a beer on Friday 🙂