Bill Meyer

D2007 in Windows 10 VM

Today I encountered a problem. I cloned a Windows 7 VM in which I have D2007 installed. Upgraded to Windows 10, which now means 21H2.

Problem 1: Delphi 2007 failed during loading. That proved to be an issue with the IDE FixPack, and there is a version for Windows 10, so resolved that.

Problem 2: Opened my main project, and quickly received an error about c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\Borland.Common.Targets not being found.

I have not found a resolution for the second issue. It occurred because the former C:\Windows is now contained in C:\Windows.old. Tried copying Borland.Common.Targets from there to the folder where it expects to find it. Got the same error.

Am setting this aside for the moment. It is not yet a blocking problem, but is expected to be, as IT tightens the security noose. 

I do expect to try upgrading a clone to 21H1, which I think did not create the problem when I used it some months ago. But I may be defeated by the installation of updates during the upgrade.

For anyone else using D2007, be careful of Windows 10 updates.

There are no issues with D2007 on 21H2 at all.

I have never seen an app complaining for a file which is on the location it's being searched and the app has the rights to using it.

5 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

There are no issues with D2007 on 21H2 at all.

I have never seen an app complaining for a file which is on the location it's being searched and the app has the rights to using it.

I have resolved the issue here. The point is that there are files which needed by D2007, but relocated by the windows update. Four appear to have been critical.

Windows "Feature Updates" move Windows to Windows.old as part of the update process. I usually search in there for the missing files, and move them to the new Windows directory. I also keep a copy of the files elsewhere, just in case Microsoft loses them..

The files concerned are:

Borland.Common.Targets

Borland.Cpp.Targets

Borland.Delphi.Targets

Borland.Group.Targets

And they need to be present (and therefore copied to, from Windows.old, or your stashed location) in:

Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727

Edited by Nigel Thomas
clarification

Ditto, I use Delphi 2007 (and 10.4 and 11.1) on Windows 11. 

Learnt 10 years ago that I needed a backup of the four NET target files, and have restored them numerous times since after Windows Updates. 

Sort of related, I also have a workaround that brings the old Windows Help 32 system back to life, as used by Delphi 7 and many other applications from 20 years ago,  but which was removed from Windows Vista and later  https://www.magsys.co.uk/apps/

Angus

3 hours ago, Angus Robertson said:

Learnt 10 years ago that I needed a backup of the four NET target files, and have restored them numerous times since after Windows Updates.

Odd that I had not encountered this in the past.