abdellahmehdi

When execute, this error appears

Check what is entered in the field labeled "né". This can not be converted to a date. I'm guessing that is a TMaskEdit. You should only try to convert its contents, when it is filled with data. By the way, this applies to all other date fields...and perhaps even more.

• Like 1

If you are converting the Text of the "né" control to a TDate/TDateTime using StrToDate(), consider using TryStrToDate() instead.  That would avoid the EConvertError being raised.  Just make sure you pay attention to its return value to know if the conversion was successful or not.

Personally, I would use a TDateTimePicker or TDatePicker instead.  For instance, TDateTimePicker as a built-in CheckBox that can be used to indicate whether a date has been entered.

• Like 2

Just now, Remy Lebeau said:

If you are converting the Text of the "né" control to a TDate/TDateTime using StrToDate(), consider using TryStrToDate() instead.  That would avoid the EConvertError being raised.  Just make sure you pay attention to its return value to know if the conversion was successful or not.

Personally, I would use a TDateTimePicker or TDatePicker instead.  For instance, TDateTimePicker as a built-in CheckBox that can be used to indicate whether a date has been entered. 

where,s the error Knowing that  didn't work for me TryStrToDate

Screenshot (38).png

22 minutes ago, abdellahmehdi said:

where,s the error

You have 2 StrToDate() calls in that highlighted code (presumably more offscreen?), both are converting scGPDBDateEdit11.Text.  Your earlier screenshot show the Text is '  /  /  ', which is obviously NOT a valid date string, which is why StrToDate() raises EConvertError.

Knowing that  didn't work for me TryStrToDate

It should work just fine, eg:

if TryStrToDate(scGPDBDateEdit11.Text, mydate) then begin
  // use mydate as needed...
end else begin
  // do something else...
end;

Though, like I said, TDateTimePicker makes a lot more sense then a TEdit for date inputs, eg:

mydate := IncYear(DateTimePicker11.Date, a);
mydate := IncDay(DatePicker11.Date, a);

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Remy Lebeau said:

You have 2 StrToDate() calls in that highlighted code (presumably more offscreen?), both are converting scGPDBDateEdit11.Text.  Your earlier screenshot show the Text is '  /  /  ', which is obviously NOT a valid date string, which is why StrToDate() raises EConvertError. 

It should work just fine, eg:

if TryStrToDate(scGPDBDateEdit11.Text, mydate) then begin
  // use mydate as needed...
end else begin
  // do something else...
end;

Thanks bro

They convinced me very quickly not to use Try/StrToDate(). They consider it a reprehensible practice.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 10:38 PM, Stano said:

They convinced me very quickly not to use Try/StrToDate(). They consider it a reprehensible practice.

Really? Why?

• Thanks 1

Really. And they are "gentlemen" programmers. Because:

• the results can be surprising. How did the OP happen here. There are different date formats. For example, "1. 12. 2022". Oh, the spaces
  • there are better features. For example EncodeDate.

I do not question them and I arranged according to their recommendations. And I don't have problems anymore.

• Thanks 1

If you have the separate date parts already, I would definitely agree that EncodeDate is better. But if you're parsing a string, hoping it's in a date format, using TryStrToDate can avoid the exception, like @Remy Lebeaumentioned. But perhaps that's for a different use case than you're working with.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stano said:

Really. And they are "gentlemen" programmers. Because:

• there are better features.

Yeah, like not using a TEdit for date/time input in the first place.  Use a UI control that is specifically designed for date/time input (ie, TDateTimePicker, TDatePicker, TTimePicker).  Same with integers, for instance (ie, TSpinEdit).

Edited by Remy Lebeau
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1