Stéphane Wierzbicki

Gexpert is crashing after uninstalling and reinstalling Delphi (keeping Reg settings)

Hello,

Just to let you know.

Each time I install a Delphi Update, I'm getting this errorimage.png.fa7b0885107353d443e4b3fff1a38e82.png:

Steps:

Download new Delphi web installer

Run Delphi web installer

Installer ask uninstalling previous delphi version. Keep registry settings and proceed

Installer uninstall delphi

Installer display install option (which platform to install + add. options"

When installer is over, you are invited to click the "Begin work" (or something similar)

Installer is closing and running Delphi IDE

Act: Exception is displayed

Thanks

That's odd, because that assertion is in a destructor that is usually only called when exiting the IDE, not when starting it.

The problem on exiting the IDE has already been reported several times.

Please file a bug report on Sourceforge for this new problem.

Could it be that some Delphi-settings are removed but not set correctly because there are still some GExperts settings?

We've automated the process of installing the different components we're using including all the registry settings. If one runs this script before starting Delphi for the first time the IDE is broken because the default settings are not set (because the registry path already exists).

Maybe that's a hint in the right direction (or totally unrelated)...

2 hours ago, baka0815 said:

Could it be that some Delphi-settings are removed but not set correctly because there are still some GExperts settings?

We've automated the process of installing the different components we're using including all the registry settings. If one runs this script before starting Delphi for the first time the IDE is broken because the default settings are not set (because the registry path already exists).

You mean that the registry settings under HKCU are not deleted because there are GExperts settings stored under that path, and because the installer detects that this path exists, it does not create the default settings for the IDE? I guess that's possible, but unlikely to cause that error message.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:41 AM, dummzeuch said:

That's odd, because that assertion is in a destructor that is usually only called when exiting the IDE, not when starting it.

The problem on exiting the IDE has already been reported several times. 

When the installer is running ("RAD Studio Platform Selection"), there is no "installer" process, just bds.exe. So it *is* the IDE but in a special download mode. When all is installed and "Start working" is clicked, the bds.exe is terminated and a new instance of bds.exe is started. That is the time when the error message appears. I already detected that the old instance is killed using Windows API "ExitProcess"; and my guess is that this will not unload the GExperts dll nicely.

bds.exe.png

TaskManager bds_exe.png

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Achim Kalwa said:

When the installer is running ("RAD Studio Platform Selection"), there is no "installer" process, just bds.exe. So it *is* the IDE but in a special download mode.

Hm, does that mean that the error can be reproduced by running the "Platform selection" within the IDE? I have been looking for a way to reliably reproduce that problem.

Edit: No. works fine.

Edited by dummzeuch

I can reproduct it using the "GetIt package installer": When installing a package which requires an IDE restart (i.e. "Bookmarks" or "Navigator"), or when installing the latest patches, I always get the exception. See attached video.

• Thanks 2

Interestingly there seems to be no DeactivateFontsInfo method or procedure anywhere in the SynEdit code. That assertion was added in 1999(!).

"Great", if I simply comment out that assertion this will result in many more error messages. Also, GetIt has several Exceptions within the dotNET framework (which are probably handled there). Not really a good environment to debug that problem.

Edited by dummzeuch