KMarb

Is it true that using FMX units will cause android apps to fail?

In researching how to get my android app updated from Berlin to Alexandria, I have come across some posts of people saying that using FMX.xxx units is a problem, android apps will not work well or will crash.

see this post for example: log.d not working in Android services (Delphi Berlin) - Stack Overflow

Can someone comment on that? Was that a problem at one time? Or is it a problem still? If I don't use FMX.xxx units, what should I use instead?

Firstly, that information is roughly four years old (which is ancient history in our line of work) and secondly no Delphi developer would have an Android App, which seems not to be the case.

Sherlock

Thank you. Is your answer that it is impossible (or very difficult) to create a stable android app using Delphi? I have three Berlin-era apps that work well and have for about 7 years (only used within my company), but it is harder and harder to find devices running versions of android that allow the apps to run. So it is time for something different, and the most obvious path forward is to rebuild it in Alexandria. But another option is to start over completely with a different environment (Android Studio maybe) and build from scratch. The second option would be too much for me to do, so I would need to hire someone to do that, and then I would not have the same control over features and updates that I have now.

Do you have a recommendation for me for how to move forward? Maybe an android developer who can build fairly simple apps for reasonable cost. Apps have local database with reference tables (lists of vendors, inventory, jobs, etc) that are updated from  tables that live on an SQL server, retrieved using a datasnap server, and transaction are submitted back to the datasnap server (work activity, photos for various steps of projects, material pulls from inventory).

Developing android apps in Delphi is horrible compared to VCL, but is it doable?

Is your answer that it is impossible (or very difficult) to create a stable android app using Delphi

To comment on this question,  we are using FMX and Delphi (11.1) to build a Windows/Android/IOS app. We are pretty satisfied with the support, development process and stability of the application. One source/multi platform works very well for us. See this link Lynx X - Apps op Google Play.

You are welcome to talk to our developers to share ideas or learn how we do stuff with Delphi 11.1

I've an app that runs under Windows, OSX, IOs, Android and Linux, and it runs fine everywhere, from years. I do not know vcl at all, but one of my mentors that have written a book on Delphi, lets me think that FMX needs a specific strategy, and it's a little bit different from vcl.

The advantage I have is that I do not know vcl at all. So my strategy is 100% FMX.

Obviously, FMX in cross platform needs to master properly things, that are easier to do on vcl. Also, developping under Windows is easy : it always (almost) runs fine. Problems occur on OSX, IOs and Android. And espacially under Android with threads.

That is my own point of view and my experience.

Hope this helps.

17 hours ago, KMarb said:

Is your answer that it is impossible (or very difficult) to create a stable android app using Delphi?

No, not at all. There are plenty of FMX Android Apps. Keep in mind however, you will need to update your Delphi as soon as a new version is released to keep up with requirements from new Android versions.

as the post of Stackoverflow said, he use android's log.d in FireMonkey app. 

As Dave Nottage said: You cannot use FMX.xxx units in an Android service built with Delphi.

So, the problem is not Delphi FMX can not create stable Android APP.

yes, can create stable Android App by using Delphi FMX.