Berocoder

SingleStep with F7/F8 hang IDE

Hi, I am using latest delphi with all patches. Delphi 11 Version 28.0.46141.0937

When I debug my application by singlestep code with F7 or F8 sooner or later I cannot continue.
IDE is still responsive but programcounter hang and singlestep code have no effect.

I have seen this problem before also with previous 10.4.

Anyone with similar experience ? What can I do as workaround except to restart my application and try again.
It seems to be completely random...

Sometimes I get the Fx keys to lock up. Try to unlock them. I have a "Lock" key for that

13 minutes ago, Stano said:

Sometimes I get the Fx keys to lock up. Try to unlock them. I have a "Lock" key for that

Ok, but I don't understand what you mean. My F-keys works find outside Delphi in this case. What is a "Lock" key ?

2 hours ago, Berocoder said:

When I debug my application by singlestep code with F7 or F8 sooner or later I cannot continue.
IDE is still responsive but programcounter hang and singlestep code have no effect.

This happens frequently for me too, even though I rarely use Delphi 11. That's one of the bugs that keep me from switching to Delphi 11 for anything serious. And no: For me this is not Fn-key related (even though that's a valid point), mine is a desktop computer with a regular keyboard that does not have any "media" related key remapping.

11 hours ago, Berocoder said:

Hi, I am using latest delphi with all patches. Delphi 11 Version 28.0.46141.0937

I have seen this problem before also with previous 10.4.

Anyone with similar experience ? What can I do as workaround except to restart my application and try again.
It seems to be completely random...

Are you working on a 32 or 64 bit target?

11 hours ago, PeterBelow said:

Are you working on a 32 or 64 bit target?

32-bit target big VCL desktop application for Windows. 

5 hours ago, Berocoder said:

32-bit target big VCL desktop application for Windows. 

Mh, never had a problem with those, but my projects are small to medium since i'm retired and use no 3rd party controls.

2 hours ago, PeterBelow said:

Mh, never had a problem with those, but my projects are small to medium since i'm retired and use no 3rd party controls.

You can still use CPU view to get 'the iron' as the Late Danny Thorpe would say.  

This stuck my f7 and f8 Keying in CPU view stepping through Tee chart update without source.

000000000040C1E5 F3AA             rep stosb 
:000000000040C1E5 @FillChar + $105

F9 rolls over it