eivindbakkestuen

Getting FireMonkey iOS development off the ground

I have just recently had opportunity to start developing a multi platform app. Android is literally plug and play to start testing on a device, however the Apple requirements for iOS development have turned out to be a stumbling block.

Specifically, when I try to import the provisioning profile I have created into XCode (dropping the file onto the taskbar icon), I get a generic “failed to import…” message, suggesting I make sure the device is the correct one (yeah, I only have one registered device… and of course I added it to the profile) or regenerate. Yeah, tried that too. In fact, tried doing everything again from creating developer certificate onwards.

I’ve pored over blogs, youtube videos, and (shock) even official documentation, but haven’t found the magic incantation. :frowning: Device and Mac updated, running latest XCode…

Can anybody recommend a source that goes through the setup of iOS requirements in excruciating detail, making sure it’s impossible to fail, and come out with an app being debugged on the other side?

Any recommendations on how to get anything other than a generic error out of XCode?

1 hour ago, eivindbakkestuen said:
... making sure it’s impossible to fail, ...

We have all the same goal in mind, but Apple does its best to keep this goal as far and impossible as it could be 🙂

I'm afraid you have to work through all the docs and threads that are out there, all the time.

Embarcadero has a quite good explanation of the whole process for the start, but it may break easily at every little step in every little building block involved (MemberCenter certificates/provisioning, key chain old/double provisioning files, Macos setup, Macos updates, Macos version, Platform CPU, iOS version, iOS/Macos off-sync. versions, XCode version, SDK-Versions, SDK-Missing internal parts, network/wifi connection, Transporter version, AppStore, certificate, DeviceID, Device image, PAServer, Delphi version, ...).

Even XCode itself sometimes cannot resolve everything smoothly, you will have to dive deep into all those forums.

It would help if you would present a failure message you've got, to get more insights.

Usually the best way is to prepare a new ID, certificates, devices in the MemberCenter manually and to use XCode to prepare iOS device for development, starting an empty project on iOS, it can manage provisioning files to some degree.

Once it works, usually it stays quite stable for a long time.

When you leave it alone for two or three weeks, you might see some provisioning issues and need to re-establish the connection sometimes (at least I have such experience here).

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

We have all the same goal in mind, but Apple does its best to keep this goal as far and impossible as it could be 🙂

I'm afraid you have to work through all the docs and threads that are out there, all the time.

This. It can often be an endless loop of installing macOS updates so that you can install a new version of Xcode, and then having to redo your provisioning, certs etc... Keychain Manager is your friend and will help root out outdated certs which can cause all sorts of problems.

I usually budget at least a few days of work to sort it all out when updating the Xcode and RAD Studio tool chains, so don't expect it to be a plug-and-play operation -- it will be time-consuming and frustrating at times.

My experience:

Check this or other the same type:

Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Intermediate Certificate

Maybe it is valid in your computer but if you delete it and re-install it by  download a newer version from APPLE, maybe you can go through it.