Lars Fosdal

Delphi 11.1 + patches - No debug source / breakpoints?

Opened another, larger project.  1.1+ million lines.  No problems. Debugs fine. Didn't even touch the .dproj.

You probably confirm what I wrote today. Big project - no problems. A small project - there are problems.
Emb I know about it. He doesn't know why. Apparently, they would need some small project where they could study it. I don't have one. But problems do.

In other words: there are problems with small projects that do not appear with large projects. This applies to LSPs.
I don't know if this includes your case.

3 hours ago, Stano said:

You probably confirm what I wrote today. Big project - no problems. A small project - there are problems.
Emb I know about it. He doesn't know why. Apparently, they would need some small project where they could study it. I don't have on

Guess 1. windows freshens memory shuffle for big program that is grabs files from the files needing to written to disk 3.5 gigs on my machine.  This feature saves say 3 minutes on reboot buts retains the cache wreck 😞  Fix Kill some msedgebrower.x off vs reboot

Guess 2. Windows swap file uses compressed memory. This compressed memory is shuffled in/out? on big job. 
Fix shut off the swap file.

Guess 3. Run apps like D and edge in full screen so Windows can manage memory for running apps better.  

Knowing the above in 64 yields a running program with clickable menu items in Ide.    

Here's what I did to find a problem switching to win11 machine I must have set build with runtime packages under packages. clicking find unit under Refactor yields what the IDE knows. The center forms show before after.

Guess 4. ctrl Mouse down is to be shut down when App is running? IDE He (or She let's say D for Diapered) must think the program is compiled and running!  This is on win 11 D11.1

64bit release 3.png

here, any try of usage "Find CLASS" window, result in "booommmm" = my IDE disappears from the screen (goes to outer space and does not come back .... )  :classic_biggrin:

You must have some camelCase where D likes PascalCase best.  I able to drill in Control select with program running. It takes a day or two of pruning the write cache and reboot or two for changes to keep.  Big jobs usual have dcu units paths set.  

Edited by Pat Foley
running threads show and up on release build

Ok 

New project

set as 64

set as release

run as debug shows threads show unit works either way 🙂 

Edited by Pat Foley
Done for Day

NOPE! just crash all!!!

• before, I just create a new project, and DONT build,compile, nothing... just "Search... Find Class... and click any class on list!! = crash
  • now, I did your steps and click in "TForm" I get it... but clicking in any other item, like System.True (there is not sources of course), the IDE crash!!!
    • My expectative: show any message with "no found" for example!!! but DONT crash IDE at all!
  • image.png.7ce0b588287ecd658193571ea8965c56.png
Edited by programmerdelphi2k

16 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

How about line endings? IDE goes crazy if there's some lonely CR's in sources

Line endings was wrong at first (Thanks for nothing, GitHub) - but was corrected with a setting in GitKraken.

The compiler warns if there if f.x. only LF instead of CRLF - but how to guard against a lonely CR?

17 hours ago, Stano said:

Emb I know about it. He doesn't know why. Apparently, they would need some small project where they could study it. I don't have one. But problems do.

The size of the project does not seem relevant.  The one that fails is about 600k lines.  The tiny ones works just fine, as does the larger 1100k lines one.

I thought this was a new problem... then I tried on the old laptop again.

Guess what - it fails in the same way there as well.

What is the default setting for Project | Options | Linking | Include remote debug symbols?

It was off.  On = I can debug. Locally.

I tried to look up this for you and as I changed the remote debugging settings it screwed up my custom Version info what I'm using for building the database connection so I had to restore the dproj from a backup as I could not get it work again. You are on your own now.

• Sad 1

Possible causes?
A developer on a non-corporate laptop does not have this problem.

Another developer on corporate laptops have the same problem as me on both new and old laptops.

That seems to indicate a Windows policy may be a factor here.

Anyways - Include remote debug symbols ticked gave back working breakpoints for us.

2 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

The compiler warns if there if f.x. only LF instead of CRLF - but how to guard against a lonely CR?

Project Magician has an option for that:

Clean Line Feeds

When opening dpr, dpk, pas or inc files any invalid line feed sequence (like single <CR> or <LF>) will be converted to a proper <CR><LF> sequence. This setting is only available at global level.

On a different note:

Delphi-PRAXiS is not social media platform, so please stay on topic and contribute facts rather than speculation.

Edit: I am not naming names - if you feel that I am addressing you, well, maybe I am 😛

50 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Option checked. No change.

That doesn't surprise me, as it probably does the same as the new IDE functionality does.

Would it be possible to get hands on such a file with a single CR for testing purposes?

Sorry. Perhaps I misunderstood as I was under the impression that this was the cause of your problem.

10 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Sorry. Perhaps I misunderstood as I was under the impression that this was the cause of your problem.

There have been a large number of theories about why this happened.

File format has been ruled out.  Windows Policy may be relevant - but with a workaround, I am not going to dig deeper.