Ian Branch

English Version of GLibWMI??

Hi Team,

Does anybody know of an English version of GLibWMI?

I'm afraid my French, or whatever language it is, is not all that good.  i.e. non existant.

Also, I don't think English Users would appreciate non-english prompts. 😉

Alternatively, is there another Library that provides similar functionality?

I'm really only after the ability to stop/start windows services.

Regards & TIA,

Ian

It is not mention in the documentation, but the Magenta Hardware Components package includes a unit MagService.pas written almost 20 years ago that says:

MagService is a unit of functions to control, install and remove Windows Service applications.  These functions all require the application to have administrative access rights, which can be checked by IsProgAdmin.  Services can be started and stopped, check if running, installed to run with startup options, an account and dependencies, have a service description set, or removed from the service database.

My old WMI unit can be downloaded from the same place, although the latest version is part of ICS.  But WMI is much slower than direct windows APIs. 

Angus

6 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

Hi Team,

Does anybody know of an English version of GLibWMI?

I'm afraid my French, or whatever language it is, is not all that good.  i.e. non existant.

Also, I don't think English Users would appreciate non-english prompts. 😉

Alternatively, is there another Library that provides similar functionality?

Regards & TIA,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I guess it is Spanish, definitely not French.

Why don't you get in touch with the developer and help him translating in English?

Angus - Tks, d/load requested.

Stephane - French, Spanish, same difference to me. I don't understand it. 🙂

Ian

Edited by Ian Branch

On 1/14/2023 at 8:21 AM, Ian Branch said:

Google "winapi start service"

Thank you all for your inputs.  Appreciated.

In the short term I have gone with Angus' Magenta component.

Having said that I am interested in learning how to call/use the winapi stuff.

Is there a guide somewhere?  I have looked at the MS information and it is like reading a different language.

Regards & TIA,

Ian

That could be because it is a different language!  The calling and using is the easy bit: once you have added winapi.windows to your uses list, the Delphi IDE shows you the parameters and their types when you write the function name.  And Google finds you precise details of how the API function works when you enter MSDN followed by the function name. But I am not the best person to tell you what functions you can use, even if you had told us what features (other than starting/stopping services) you want to use them for. Having been a C programmer since long before I even discovered Delphi 1, I no longer remember how I learnt about the Windows API.  Hopefully someone else will point you towards a more up-to-date resource to learn about it..