PeterPanettone

Extremely useful feature

I have discovered this extremely useful feature:

Find previous/next occurrence (Shift + Alt + Left):

image.png.ddc9dd45d279a683880c27609d23d424.png

This jumps to the previous or next occurrence of the current identifier and then opens this popup window:

image.png.c078f13cd9538d914d1978986aa5ea04.png

So my question is: How can I DIRECTLY open this extremely useful popup window (using the current identifier) without having to previously do the Find previous/next occurrence (Shift + Alt + Left) command?

I am aware that there is the Find Identifier command which displays this Search box:

image.png.4d2692e8e8802e8762af4550075901c0.png

However, this Find Identifier search box has the inconvenience to not automatically insert the currently selected identifier or the identifier under the cursor into the search field.

Or is it possible to configure this?

Edited by PeterPanettone

9 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

How can I DIRECTLY open this extremely useful popup window (using the current identifier) without having to previously do the Find previous/next occurrence (Shift + Alt + Left) command?

As the hint mentions: <Shift>-<Alt>-<Left/Right>

Oh, I see. You mean without moving the cursor?

Edited by Uwe Raabe

9 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Oh, I see. You mean without moving the cursor?

Yes, I mean without moving the cursor.

Seems that this is not possible in the moment. Please file a feature request at support@mmx-delphi.de to make this happen in a future release.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Seems that this is not possible in the moment. Please file a feature request at support@mmx-delphi.de to make this happen in a future release.

Done. Thank you!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Done. Thank you!

'Entire Scope' as default might be nice too.

9 minutes ago, Jacek Laskowski said:

CNPack has similar or in some cases better solution, see:

Jacek, thank you for pointing that out. I am using this feature all the time. It is INVALUABLE for checking whether there are other instances of the current identifier under the cursor nearby. On a wider scope, I use the GExperts Grep Search, as it can optionally even search an identifier in ALL FILES inside a project group!

19 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

it can optionally even search an identifier in ALL FILES inside a project group!

This looks pretty similar to the MMX Source Indexer function "Search Identifier" available with <Shift>-<Ctrl>-<Alt>-S (assuming appropriate settings).

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

This looks pretty similar to the MMX Source Indexer function "Search Identifier" available with <Shift>-<Ctrl>-<Alt>-S (assuming appropriate settings).

That is also a great search tool with flexible options for the search locations:

image.png.8e2f8c49c7bae04bf439f92d56393521.png

However, it lacks the invaluable CONTEXT PREVIEW of the GExperts Grep Search:

image.png.8573cf543ebb78c79d18887d68afe65a.png

...which can be configured here:

image.png.f693aa674c6b2609077e71d401eb4bc4.png

The MMX Indexer Search loads the result file in the IDE by just left-single-clicking the result line which for me is not good because it also attempts to load the associated form file (if it has one). It should definitely have a preview pane like Grep Search!

Edited by PeterPanettone

13 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

However, it lacks the invaluable CONTEXT PREVIEW of the GExperts Grep Search:

On the other hand MMX immediately synchronizes the editor view when you select a match with a mouse click.

29 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

On the other hand MMX immediately synchronizes the editor view when you select a match with a mouse click.

That is useful only when using one of these options:

image.png.9465a0b8782569aff8ae185228e0665e.png

Otherwise, attempting to load the associated form file can interfere with the current project!

So, the MMX Indexer result-list should automatically load the result file in the IDE on mouse-click ONLY if the result-file is part of the current project (or if the result-file is already opened in the IDE). This would be much smarter!

Additionally, when using the Root paths option or one of these options:

image.png.a751b3a6ae3d225e2483cf63821e29de.png

...then this option in most cases is useless:

image.png.d30f51dd99f12159730bda7060517414.png

...because the content of the Library path or the Browsing path does not change that often. In this case (if the Rebuild option is unchecked) it would be far more intelligent to not erase the index between IDE sessions or to rebuild the index only if a change has been detected in one of these paths!

So a separate dockable context preview panel for the MMX Indexer IMO would be very useful.

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 5:57 PM, PeterPanettone said:

I have discovered this extremely useful feature:

Is it just an ordinary identifier usages list?