georges pletinckx

New installation and old program

Hello, I don't know if I am at the right place.

I installed Delphi and I want to work on an old program.

I want to edit a .pas file and i get this on screen (see the attach file). How can I solve this?

Thx

pasfile.jpg

It looks like you Calcul.pas file is not a Delphi source code. Given we see "EXIF", it is possible that it is a JPG or other image format.

If you open Calcul.pas using Notepad, does it display garbage?

That looks like your file system may be corrupted if a .pas is opening that way. Worth looking at a backup (hopefully you have external version control like github). Worth running a chkdsk on your drive and check other sources too that you may rely on.

Edited by darnocian

24 minutes ago, darnocian said:

That looks like your file system may be corrupted if a .pas is opening that way. Worth looking at a backup (hopefully you have external version control like github). Worth running a chkdsk on your drive and check other sources too that you may rely on.

Nope, by looking at the first four Bytes it really looks like a Jpeg signature, at least they start same way, but why an image file got a .pas extension... ask @georges pletinckx

So I hope for him he still got a backup somewhere flying around.

1 hour ago, KodeZwerg said:

Nope, by looking at the first four Bytes it really looks like a Jpeg signature

@KodeZwerg That is basically the same answer as I gave yesterday...

He probably got a screen dump of the source code as a jpg image and renamed the file to .pas thinking this is the way to get the actual source code 😄😄😄 Of course it isn't...

• Haha 1

... try renaming the file back to .jpg and then try to open it with a photo viewer app and see !

1 hour ago, georges pletinckx said:

Hello, no I didn't because it must be a pas file. I goes to the history ans i bring the last calcul.pas and it's ok

Well, how do you explain that a .PAS file actually contained JPG data? If you have not renamed, you copied a jpg over a pas file.

btw: There is no shame to make an error. That's how we learn.