RCrandall

Bringing TGlobe from D5 to present day

There was a VCL component called TGlobe during the Delphi 5 to 2006 era that has since disappeared.  I know someone who as the full source for the D5 version and is still using Delphi 5 because of this.  I rather incautiously offered to see what I can do to help. My ‘evening and weekend’ project is to see if I can update it to Delphi 11.

TGlobe is still listed on Delphi Super Page, but the author has disappeared and the TGlobe web site is for sale.  There is no sign that the code has been open sourced.

I have been allowed to see the source for version 4.07, and the last version on the Delphi Super Page is 5.11.  If anyone has 5.11 with source, I would pay your $50 US for it just to get that much further along.  Failing this, I need to do this the hard way and I’m definitely out of my sphere of competence.  I used Delphi 5 back in the day but don’t have it now, and the only book I have that might be relevant is Ray Konopka’s “Developing Custom Delphi Components” from 1996.  This might in fact be all I need, but if there are web resources that anyone can point to, it would be helpful to know.

This is not a make or break project, but if I can help this person I would like to.  Does anyone out there have TGlobe sitting on their harddrive, or know of a killer tutorial on upgrading components from the distant past?

Thanks in advance, Rob C

@RCrandall did you see this:

TGlobe Delphi Source   TGLOBE_VERSION = '5.1.2';

This is an archive repositiory for the TGlobe Dephi GIS component.

image.png.118ac0975706698bdd03e39ddc4d2dc9.png

https://github.com/grakgrak

https://github.com/grakgrak?tab=repositories

https://github.com/grakgrak/TGlobeSource

https://web.archive.org/web/20090213234348/http://tglobe.com/?q=node/7

Edited by programmerdelphi2k
  • Like 1

OBSERVATION:

1. the "TGlobe5_D6.dpk" has some char-ghost/added in "Rrequires"/"Ocontains" session: open the DPK file with Notepad++, and just remove the "r"/"o" chars and all files appears on Project Manager tree
  2. in DPK remove the "requires VCL, IMGJPG" and save, the compile then ask to add "requires  rtl,   vcl,   vclimg" when building/installing
  3. in various place (unit GSysUtils, and GE00Reader pas) you has "DecimalSeparator", just add  FormatSettings.DecimalSeparator to compile on RAD 11.3
  4. many "WARNINGS" are raised, then, you if want, you can updates it with "the new syntaxes" in moderns IDE!

image.thumb.png.6ab081736b83d658218eaf128f2dc6e0.png    image.thumb.png.2a6e2c660d301a6d15d2f782a9a35c5c.png

TGlobe_DPK_sanitizated_RAD113.7z

GE00Reader_GSysUtils_sanitized_to_RAD11.3.7z

Holy smokes, that was fast!  I am feeling chagrined that it was in fact open sourced and I did not spot that when I looked.  Thanks very much for this!

I will grab it now and commence to play, Rob C

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RCrandall said:

I am feeling chagrined that it was in fact open sourced and I did not spot that when I looked. 

That would be a great idea if you update the repository once you updated the code for Delphi 11.

Fr0st.Brutal - I'm new to this and I just assumed it was usable if it was on GitHub.  I spent no time (yet) on the licensing nuances.  What do you see that sets off alarm bells?  I want to respect the legal rights of all involved of course.

Thanks, Rob C

9 hours ago, RCrandall said:

Fr0st.Brutal - I'm new to this and I just assumed it was usable if it was on GitHub.  I spent no time (yet) on the licensing nuances.  What do you see that sets off alarm bells?  I want to respect the legal rights of all involved of course.

Thanks, Rob C

Bild_2023-04-22_003950258.png

On 4/22/2023 at 12:40 AM, KodeZwerg said:

Bild_2023-04-22_003950258.png

What about it?

So it used to be shareware. That doesn't mean that it still is.

As far as I have been able to determine the author, Graham Knight, has either vanished from the internet or he is the owner of that Github repository.

9 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

So it used to be shareware. That doesn't mean that it still is.

One may create an issue at the GitHub repository just to ask for licensing.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 4:34 PM, RCrandall said:

What do you see that sets off alarm bells?

I see the absence of any licensing info there 🙂

There's a chance that these sources are illegal. However, if your client already has the paid version and you only do an upgrade... Especially considering the lib is not sold anymore... I estimate the chance of troubles as very low. But you better consult with lawyers anyway.

The absence of licensing info is troubling, now that you mention it.  My friend has the paid-for source but I will alert him about this aspect of it  Now that I have turned this up his interest in it seems to have cooled off anyway but I think he should move from D5 to something a little more current just on general principles and someday he might well.

I have had the odd component orphaned on me in the past but it was always either open-sourced (e.g. THmtlViewer by Dave Baldwin) or there was something else I could easily jump to.  It feels a bit odd to be caught out like this and not be able to recommend a suitable current alternative, but I guess that happens and it finally caught up with me with this one.

Thanks, Rob

TGlobe in Torry's Delphi Page - 2007

---

using "WhoIS" I found this:

tglobe.com registered at  2013-04-27  -  Status:   clientTransferProhibited

Name:Jin H. Park
Street:904Dong 1101Ho, MaEum-Ro 151,
City:Sejong-Shi
State:Sejong-Shi
Postal Code:30063
Phone:+82.1020513388
Email:email@naver.com

later, I found FBI page about Jin H Park  (male)  as member in Ransomware team... BUT I DONT IF "IT'S REALLY TRUE" THIS INFO about Jin, because the "H" can be any other name!

image.png.21e7afa224f28b28604be12830d6b0e6.png 

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fbi.gov%2Fnews%2Fpressrel%2Fpress-releases%2Fnorth-korean-regime-backed-programmer-charged-with-conspiracy-to-conduct-multiple-cyber-attacks-and-intrusions&h=AT2gx2J-BRmv51xFtJ50dM8ZxUpizKf1TWp3ZgnQ1AzDi8YA6IIpOC4JVLveqy3b3V9LuLibNRQC7sLUNkDcz9N6sS6DCUFkNnFdtvG5ly5vnaUPhaMi9YRnXXgFmhXbz7OeUKlX_IdocUpkF4S6&__tn__=-UK*F

16 hours ago, RCrandall said:

Now that I have turned this up his interest in it seems to have cooled off anyway but I think he should move from D5 to something a little more current just on general principles and someday he might well.

Well, you can try with v4 sources you have and compare them with v5 on Github to see what's updated. Probably there were no much changes. Anyway if everything works with v4 you still can continue with it and try to move the project to modern Delphi.

Another option is to search for alternative.

16 hours ago, RCrandall said:

I have had the odd component orphaned on me in the past but it was always either open-sourced (e.g. THmtlViewer by Dave Baldwin)

This project is still alive https://github.com/BerndGabriel/HtmlViewer.git

This TGlobe V5 Delphi 10 post has been great and is really appreciated.  

I have a old Delphi 5 app running TGlobe V4, which I'd like to slowly migrate to Delphi 10.3. Does anyone have the TGlobe V4 source?

Has anyone managed to get TGlobe V4 Delphi 10 compatible?