357mag

How many people use Delphi?

Delphi is quite good when you need to write programs quickly. Delphi has a weak point, that is the integer and float performance. It just can't keep up with C++. A customer had problems here. We then wrote the geometry library in MS C++ and integrated the obj files in Delphi. This doesn't work everywhere, but it does for pure function calls.

On 4/28/2023 at 4:47 PM, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

NO and never! I hate slow and fat apps. But vendors seem to think contrary. Skype, Slack (or Discord?) and many more turned from compact native apps to Electron based monsters.

There are always other requirements besides speed. If the vendor requires support for many platforms then Electron is one of the available options that fits. Other requirements may be based on developers they have and their skillsets, as well as application features and target audience.

For instance VSCode being written in Electron is foundation of their thriving plugin system not only because underlying technology is very suitable for that, but also because there is vast number of developers that can write those plugins.

On 4/30/2023 at 5:53 AM, Dalija Prasnikar said:

For instance VSCode being written in Electron is foundation of their thriving plugin system not only because underlying technology is very suitable for that, but also because there is vast number of developers that can write those plugins.

My impression of VSCode as an editor is that it is light-years ahead of Delphi as an editor. Of course, Delphi does more for me because it integrates with the form designer. However, if an Electron app can smoothly lint multiple interpretated languages for me without slowdown or just mysteriously stopping the linting, as LSP in Delphi often does, one wonders what the advantages to all this native code is in the first place. And I do know the advantages -- it just burns a bit that I can't really experience them in the very IDE I am using to build native applications.

• Like 4