ChenShou

About Delphi 11.3 CE Platform Selection

Well, i just wander is Linux not allowed in Community Edition ? Here is no Linux choice

image.thumb.png.7fece672d64b43ef0e534a39afd837e4.png

I don't think Embarcadero has thought this through. Linux clearly needs to be available in all SKU especially in the Community Edition which would be taken up by the casual or hobbyist developer.

• Like 2

as said Melander:   ... Im a HobbyIST   .... and I want Linux (free and open-source)  in a IDE (no commercial usage and < $5000/year) = Community Edition! 😁

• Like 1

One should mention that Delphi or C++ Builder for Linux are not able to create GUI applications for Linux. For that a 3rd party library like FmxLinux or CrossVcl is needed and both are not free either. (FmxLinux is free with the Enterprise version, though.)

It would not be a big investment to acquire these 3rd party libraries and make them available for free. A better way to increase revenue is to grow the user base.

Trying to lure developers beyond the Professional SKU by hiding the value in the Enterprise works well when the content is attractive to larger companies.

The Linux platform is attractive to all types of customer.

This is a missed opportunity to grow the Community Edition in a similar fashion to Python for Delphi.

8 minutes ago, David Champion said:

t would not be a big investment to acquire these 3rd party libraries and make them available for free.

That's false. Every OS is a moving target. You cannot buy a finished solution and freeze it. You have to actively develop it. For years we see that Embarcadero doesn't have the required resources.

• Like 2

I agree. The 3rd party libraries require maintenance at least and most likely further development but Idera's investors are not short of a few dollars. 

12 minutes ago, David Champion said:

I agree. The 3rd party libraries require maintenance at least and most likely further development but Idera's investors are not short of a few dollars.

So far, any Delphi library or tool that Embarcadero bought has been abandoned sooner or later. What makes you think this would change?

Actually there were rumors that CrossVCL were to be bought by Embarcadero and included in Delphi. There was a time range where you could not buy new licenses. Now you can...

As said above, you can get FmxLinux for free with an active Enterprise/Architect subscription. (Not sure about Pro, but it wouldn't make sense without the ability to target Linux)

There's big difference between "buy and try to maintain and let it die after some time" and "make agreement and provide free version to legal customers" approaches. Considering the history, the latter is better

• Like 1