pyscripter

Strange debug output

When I debug my application, just before exiting, I see some strange messages in the Events log, such as:

Debug Output:
onecore\com\combase\winrt\error\restrictederror.cpp(945)\combase.dll!00007FFD636832D1: (caller: 00007FFD6358BCC5) ReturnHr(4) tid(b80) 80070490 Element not found.

Process PyScripter.exe (14872)

All messages are related to winrt, however I am not explicitly using winrt.  Any clues?  Should I worry?

That's Microsoft, just casually leaving OutputDebugStr-calls in their release builds. Nothing new here 😑

If you don't use the debug output, you can disable these messages showing up in the IDE. If you do, you will have to get used to your messages being buried under a heap of garbabe.

Edited by Der schöne Günther

We used OutputDebugString for a while, but found that if you had a large number of logged outputs from multiple threads, it would occasionally drop the output.

We ended up changing the way we logged by writing debug data in text format to a threadsafe ring buffer and have a background thread burst the logged data to a textfile periodically, and that would transition to a new file every midnight.

The debug output I see daily with internet applications and Windows 11 is:

onecore\net\netprofiles\service\src\nsp\dll\namespaceserviceprovider.cpp(550)\nlansp_c.dll!
708884C8: (caller: 76C0E326) LogHr(10) tid(4f74) 8007277C No such service is known. The service cannot be found in the specified name space.

Guess Microsoft does not run it's own applications under a debugger.

Angus