helste7023

App for Android 11 with Delphi 10.1

Hello,

I still am on Delphi 10.1, because it does all what  need and I hat spending 2 days installing all my third party components after upgrading to a new Delphi version.

And of course it is not that cheap any more as it used to be, when I started with Delphi a long time ago.

Unfortunately an Android app I made with Delphi 10.1. does not start on a new device with Android 11.

Is there a way to get an app, that is made with Delphi 10.1 working on Android 11 or do I have to upgrade to Delphi 11.x?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

7 minutes ago, helste7023 said:

I still am on Delphi 10.1, because it does all what  need

7 minutes ago, helste7023 said:

nfortunately an Android app I made with Delphi 10.1. does not start on a new device with Android 11.

These two statements seem to be in conflict. :-)

Mobile development is much more of a moving target than desktop. I don't think staying on old versions of your development system is a viable strategy for mobile applications.

• Like 1

In some way you are right. What I mean, when I say it does all what I need is, that I can build apps with the functioanlity I need. Besides that, there is the problem with OS compatibility. That is a really serious problem, because it forces me to buy every single new version of Delphi a s long I want to be sure to get the app running on newer systems.

And what if a user of the app decides to upgrade his OS to the latest version and the app does not run any more? That all together is pretty annoying.

When I make an app for Windows 7, it still works on Windows 11.

I guess I am getting to old for this sh...😉

Besides all the "it is what it is", is there any workaround for my problem?

18 minutes ago, Brandon Staggs said:

Mobile development is much more of a moving target than desktop. I don't think staying on old versions of your development system is a viable strategy for mobile applications.

Another question is, how it is with backwards compatibility. When I use Delphi 11, so I can use it with the new device running on Android 11, will the same apk work on older devices running Android 8 or Android 9?

1 minute ago, helste7023 said:

Another question is, how it is with backwards compatibility. When I use Delphi 11, so I can use it with the new device running on Android 11, will the same apk work on older devices running Android 8 or Android 9?

You'll need to double-check those issues with Google based on the target sdk/etc. There are points where they stop working, but I don't know how far back the current builds will work.

My old projects (first made for Android 4.4) work in Delphi 11.3 (of course updating very little some code) and with old SDK. They run in Android 11 (and in the old Android simulator, still available with old SDK).

Of course you cannot use new functions. I use local SQlite, Bluetooth and Internet.

But of course I can't in any way guarantee you that your project will compile or work with it.

P.S.: I don't distribute the APK via Google Play. I install it directly on the phone.

image.thumb.png.9a637fa06c330fe0d378fa705024bfdf.png

Edited by DelphiUdIT

Thanks. I downloaded Delphi 11 and got a trial Serial number from Embarcadero. So I can test it and if it works as expected, I will buy it. There is a discount until end of July, so it will be a little bit cheaper than usual.

I also do not distribute the app via Google Play. I install it directly and when I make an update, I load it up to my ftp server and in the app, there is a function to download and install the update.

• Like 1