luciano_f

When will we have a 64-bit IDE version ?

2 hours ago, shineworld said:

Strange you have memory problems in compilation after 300000 lines of code. 

But what is the difference when it stay only some little MB of memory available in IDE if you have 30 000 000  lines of code of 10 000 lines to compile ? It will fail both way.

If I compile my software outside (command-line) the Delphi IDE I have never out of memory problems = And it's stay a lot of memory useable easy to compile more than 30 000 000 lines of code !

The compiler manages its memory very well but it still needs some!

We can use Notepad++ (of course 64 bits) to open thousand of units (+ dfm) files and command line to compile without any problem too 😛

Edited by FabDev

1 hour ago, FabDev said:

If I compile my software outside (command-line) the Delphi IDE I have never out of memory problems = And it's stay a lot of memory useable easy to compile more than 20 000 000 lines of code !

Is the IDE set to save files on a compile? Does the error change to corrupted memory when compiling in 64 bit. I have 1.4 Compressed memory even with 8.2 available so I may reboot the machine to clear the Compressed or swap pages out this week. MS fixed some issues doing away with recently used file time line but putting the swap file back in is maddening :classic_angry:     

1 hour ago, Pat Foley said:

Is the IDE set to save files on a compile? Does the error change to corrupted memory when compiling in 64 bit. I have 1.4 Compressed memory even with 8.2 available so I may reboot the machine to clear the Compressed or swap pages out this week. MS fixed some issues doing away with recently used file time line but putting the swap file back in is maddening :classic_angry:     

Yes because I have a lot of out of memory I always check "Save on compile". And CTRL + S is my favourite short-cut 😉. Unlike Delphi IDE, despite a very component-rich interfaces (Office 2021 Style and TDI interface), my application very rarely "eat" more than 2 GB of memory. So I only compile in 32 bits.

But I'am sure that's my out of memory errors at compilation time are only consequences of memory full by IDE. That's always show the Task manager of Windows ("maximum working memory range" column).

Edited by FabDev

1 minute ago, FabDev said:

"Save on compile". CTRL + S is my favorite short-cut

So uncheck save manually then compile or build for a 'line count'.   

19 hours ago, luciano_f said:

We urgently need more robust IDE

Indeed. I think asking Embarcadero to give us a 64-bit one is counterproductive to that right now. It seems unlikely that the majority of problems in the IDE have anything to do with a lack of virtual address space. A new 64-bit IDE is going to come with a lot of new bugs.

I can understand if someone is working on a project that routinely hits the memory limit they would want this done now.

Edited by Brandon Staggs

3 hours ago, Brandon Staggs said:

Indeed. I think asking Embarcadero to give us a 64-bit one is counterproductive to that right now. It seems unlikely that the majority of problems in the IDE have anything to do with a lack of virtual address space. A new 64-bit IDE is going to come with a lot of new bugs.

I can understand if someone is working on a project that routinely hits the memory limit they would want this done now.

Guys, I'm sorry for the words

Nothing in this life can we be fanboys of companies, brands, products, etc....

Embarcadero is a for-profit company and has a product that urgently needs several improvements not only in the IDE but also in several other things.
 Thinking that by asking for a 64-bit IDE we will give up other things is a rotten and unoptimistic thought,

Why can't we have it all ?

I believe that what we lack is more unity in demanding more from this company that every year launches a new version but the step that is coming soon I see the lazarus passing over the boat, today it is not superior but soon it will be and I see this as something Very shameful for boarding, I saw several colleagues here defending Delphi in its positive points, but in some things it loses badly to Lazarus.

Windows IDE 32-bit and 64-bit
Linux IDE
MacOS IDE

Ansi standard DFM where it has AutoComplete and code folding.

Completely cross-platform LCL.
VCL has skins but only Windows.
The list of operating systems that you can compile is huge, you can even create systems for refrigerators, gates, etc...

Several large companies already understand the power of lazarus...

Fastreport
EhLib
Devart
Unigui is on the roadmap
Acbr automation brazil

IDE Total classic unlock without bugs

If I'm going to continue the list in favor of lazarus it's long but I'm not saying I'm going to use it I'm just hoping we have a better Delphi because as it is there's no way I have to close and open Delphi at least 8 times every day,  My project has 500 thousand lines of code with 350 forms.

Embarcadero be ashamed.

Let's vote and in addition to voting, leave a text for them with our indignation.

1 hour ago, luciano_f said:

Thinking that by asking for a 64-bit IDE we will give up other things is a rotten and unoptimistic thought,

Why can't we have it all ?

This comment on an older issue in the system requesting the same thing may give you some insight:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-33115?focusedCommentId=101628&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-101628

Marco says they consider it along with other features. I think it's obvious there are limited R&D resources there, and they will only do a 64-bit IDE when they think it will lead to more sustained subscriptions compared to working on other bugs and features. But that is just my guess. 

Note that the issue for that comment is many years older than the one you added and has around 40 votes.

Edited by Brandon Staggs
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 4:36 PM, luciano_f said:

We urgently need more robust IDE

It's strange that if this is what you want that you ask for something else. Classic XY problem. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, luciano_f said:

Guys, I'm sorry for the words

Let's vote and in addition to voting, leave a text for them with our indignation.

Sorry, but what are you talking about? You said you don't know Lazarus but you say you want a Delphi like Lazarus, you decline a series of features without knowing them or having tried them.

Try using Lazarus with your project, install Lazarus on Linux and work from there and then try to "distribute" your work to other Linux PCs: X11 and Wayland, Linux 4.xx, Linux 5.xx, Linux 6.xx , GTK2, GTK3, GTK3.2 GTK+, GTK4, QT5, QT5Moded, QT6, etc .... I won't continue to mention all the libraries otherwise .... Let's not talk about the distros (Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu just to name a few some common).

Are you sure you want a Delphi like this?

Fmx runs in a few OS (Linux, Mac, Android and IOS, as well as Windows) but at least the environment is unique.

Use third-party libraries and see if they also run in all operating systems supported by Lazarus.

FastReport for example on Lazarus only runs on Windows and Linux.

Lazarus really doesn't have "skins". And, just to be clear, "skins" also exist in FMX, not just in VCLs.

Etc...

As others have said, it is better to have the IDE that is there now and most of the engineering resources dedicated to this IDE rather than splitting efforts and finding ourselves with new IDEs with new problems and the old one with old unsolved problems.

The time will also come for a Delphi on "Mars", but only when the time is ripe.

Bye

Edited by DelphiUdIT
  • Like 3

How to get Out of Memory with Delphi IDE ?

It's so easy !

Open a big project with a lot of files (units, forms, dfm etc..). Select a word and do a search (CTRL + SHIFT + F).

You will see something like :

OutOfMemorySearchP.thumb.png.40fb5bb2b4923bc97929f98baecb4724.png

Edited by FabDev

18 minutes ago, FabDev said:

Open a big project with a lot of files (units, forms, dfm etc..). Select a word and do a search (CTRL + SHIFT + F).

I cannot reproduce, you must use some memory hungry components.

44 minutes ago, Lajos Juhász said:

I cannot reproduce, you must use some memory hungry components. 

Yes my project (> 8 millions of line code) use not far than 40 components libraries like Devexpress (90 % of them component), TMS VCL, IBDAC, Fastreport, Teechart, HTMLEditor, Scalabium, JEDI, Indy, ICS, ImageEN, Jam Software, HTML Editor etc... All components are always up to date to "limit" bug.

PS : I can have same kind of memory using when press F1 on a word.

Edited by FabDev

4 hours ago, FabDev said:

Yes my project (> 8 millions of line code) use not far than 40 components libraries like Devexpress (90 % of them component), TMS VCL, IBDAC, Fastreport, Teechart, HTMLEditor, Scalabium, JEDI, Indy, ICS, ImageEN, Jam Software, HTML Editor etc... All components are always up to date to "limit" bug.

Could it be that you have some active database connection and live data? That contributes to the memory consumption of the bds.exe process.

Edit: Also FWIW the memory shown in the TaskManager is the memory consumed for that process and all its sub-processes - click the expand button and you will see. I assume that there will be several LSP Server processes consuming quite some memory.

Edited by Stefan Glienke

1 hour ago, FabDev said:

You will see something like :

You have selected "Search in directories" on that screenshot.

I never used this feature since I use a proper file manager for tasks like that, but the question that arises is: Is it possible that you have a circular directory link, and Delphi is not able to detect it?

1 hour ago, Attila Kovacs said:

You have selected "Search in directories" on that screenshot. 

I never used this feature since I use a proper file manager for tasks like that, but the question that arises is: Is it possible that you have a circular directory link, and Delphi is not able to detect it?

No, I do nothing I only select a word and press CTRL + SHIFT + F. At this moment you see the memory used increasing and decreasing after the dialog is shown. I don't press "OK" on search dialog. It's is the search dialog opening which take a lot of memory. Not the search on "Ok".

Like you because of memory problem I use another more powerfull software to search word on directories. But sometime I use Delphi search.

PS : I use search on directory because it's more efficient to search on my own source.

Edited by FabDev

1 hour ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Could it be that you have some active database connection and live data? That contributes to the memory consumption of the bds.exe process.

No there is a lot of time I have no connexion in design time. The connexion is done after my application is starting (ready state). Of course if you have connexion and heavy queries it's can take a lot of memory, but it's not the case. The question is what Delphi do when opening Search dialog at first time ? I can have the same problem when press F1 on a word or when doing refactoring for first time. Of course before LSP the problem was also in code completion/declaration search ...

Edited by FabDev

3 hours ago, FabDev said:

I was curious because your project for me is gigantic.

My project has 490 thousand lines in 350 forms and I already think it's too big

Tell me what type of company is your project for? Do you have any website ?

30 minutes ago, luciano_f said:

Tell me what type of company is your project for? Do you have any website ?

Nearly 25 years old CRM software. With hundred of functionalities (Cloud, offline-replication, e-mailing, calendar sync etc.)  that way I need a lot of third party components. Old but still updated to have a "modern user interface": The current version uses DevExpress RIbbon (= look very close to Office 2021) and the new Windows 11 skin...

Edited by FabDev

5 minutes ago, FabDev said:

Nearly 25 years old CRM software. With hundred of functionalities (Cloud, offline-replication, e-mailing, calendar sync etc.)  that way I need a lot of third party components. Old but still updated to have a "modern user interface": The current version uses DevExpress RIbbon (= look very close to Office 2021) and the new Windows 11 skin...

Does the friend have a website ?

How did you manage to run in the Cloud ? Is it for Microsoft terminal server ?

4 minutes ago, luciano_f said:

How did you manage to run in the Cloud ? Is it for Microsoft terminal server ? 

I would like to say cloud-sync (file, calendar and address book). Yes on Microsoft terminal server. 32 bits executable because it never consume more than 1 GB of memory !

31 minutes ago, FabDev said:

I would like to say cloud-sync (file, calendar and address book). Yes on Microsoft terminal server. 32 bits executable because it never consume more than 1 GB of memory !

I wonder how much work a system of this size requires for 8 million lines of code.

must be several programmers

And as I say, Embarcadero had to think about these things because a system that generates 64-bit applications is comical and it itself isn't.

Marco Cantu read my post see

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-42372

I said harsh words to them

Edited by luciano_f