Dave Craggs

Update issue

Just tried updating Delphi 11.3 and now Delphi will not start. Just sticks ion the background with 0% CPU

image.png.aa15304596cae179a3eb96fbccb35395.png

Any ideas on what I can do?

Which OS are you using?

Check if all updates have been installed.

Disable any "security" product such as anti-virus, just the time to check.

Windows 10 Enterprise.

Disabling security and Firewall made no difference. When installing I did keep settings. 

This is very upsetting. All I wanted to do was upgrade my Delphi 11.3, why I have to uninstall is beyond me. I have lost all work time today.

The only comment from me is after disabling OneDrive I found this later that week. MyCustomPackage was renamed Moved to User... Perhaps starting by clicking on a project in windows explorer or unhook from the net. Running 11.3 update 3 pro on win11 home.    

Screenshot 2023-10-12 075046.png

I learned that lesson.. For a long time, since I use Delphi for my company in a business situation I don't take any risk anymore to

upgrade or installing a new Delphi version on the same development machine. (read: most of the time uninstalling and installing)

Although people telling me that 2 versions of Delphi or upgrading is no problem..  So, I forced my systemmanager to give me a

clean machine and I start installing the upgrade or new version from scratch leaving my development machine as it is.

This means that I also have to setup the other (helper) software I use but I never had this problem of Delphi not starting anymore.

Next time, perhaps consider using a VM. Snapshot before the update and, if it fails, just revert. Easy peasy nice and breazy.

1 hour ago, Dave Craggs said:

Running now

Could you tell us what you have done to solve the issue?

Do you know that Delphi 12 will be available shortly?

2 hours ago, FPiette said:

He just got 11.3 running; don't frighten him further.

• Haha 4

I pruned the path. trying to reinstall getit packages but JEDI isn't playing ball and now my 10.3 install is not working.

I had heard about D12 but I never go to a new release until at least the first service pack!

16 hours ago, FPiette said:

There is a "What's coming" webinar on November 9th so it is still roughly a month away.

23 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Next time, perhaps consider using a VM. Snapshot before the update and, if it fails, just revert. Easy peasy nice and breazy.

I would do but my dev system is not  a VM. I do have a backup DEV VM though. 

I did use VMs all the time, but it was not so good when doing mobile development.

30 minutes ago, Dave Craggs said:

I did use VMs all the time, but it was not so good when doing mobile development.

Was it a problem with connectivity? We have a Mac Mini in our network, for signing the mobile apps. And we can use it to run the apps in the iOS simulator as well. Works pretty good. I have no Android experience on the other hand.